Light non-carbon tubular wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

choiboi

by choiboi

Hi all,

I'm building up a classic bike and I'm after some aluminium (or similar) tubular wheelset. Will prefer something very subtle.

Can anyone suggest me a wheelset or a build?

I'd be happy with something that is ~1200g.

Thanks
David
[b]'10 CANNONDALE CAAD10

LionelB

by LionelB

How much do you weight?

1200g is not going to be that easy with alloy rims.

Something like Ambrosio Crono F20 with CXray spokes (28 maybe if you are lightweight) and some light hubs (Tune, Extralight, etc...) could get you close to that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

LionelB is probably on the right track. the F20's are very light. 28 hole is the lowest they may go.
You could try to source some Sapim Superspokes to shave weight.
Then go with some light hubs.

The problem will be finding super light boutique hubs that actually have a higher spoke count at 28.
Soul Kozaks , Extralite and Tune have hubs would work.

Extralite Ultrarear SLX comes in 28 and matched to Ultrafront SL 28 hole hub gets you darn near to 1200 grams for the wheelset with those F20 rims.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

maybe some old stock Mavic GEL 280s?

Though the 280s are not very durable, only really good for the front (if that). a GEL330 rear is a must unless you are going pure weight (un ridable)

mrfish

by mrfish

Depends how you ride. I was 70kg and rode a 32h GEL 330 front wheel and that was fine as a daily driver for a few years including racing. My buddies used GEL 280s, but only for hillclimbs. Many used a GP4 at the rear.

ratfink

by ratfink

See if you can find some Saavedra Turbo Aerodinamica rims. A friend has them; they weigh 284 grams each, and much stronger than the GEL 280 & 330:

Mr.Gib wrote:I think this is where you are making a mistake. If it was my money I'd be looking for a frame that climbs like a scalded baby monkey on amphetamines. A goat on steroids will just not be as fast uphill.

rico

by rico

I ride a pair of GL330s as my 'Q-wheels' (in other words they look pretty normal, but climb like beasts). Avoid Tune rear hubs. I had to change mine out after it was chewed by a DA cassette. Now replaced with a sweet DA hub. With DT spokes they're okay stiffness-wise, but if I was much more than my 65kg I'd bit a little concerned.

micky

by micky

Use some Montalbetti DRC Focus 255 or 299 rims.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

micky wrote:Use some Montalbetti DRC Focus 255 or 299 rims.
They were the ones that Extralite built for the Ciclismo test bike from Zullo. They were light but pigs to get the brakes set up on as the sidewalls are super shallow.

irf3

by irf3

Check out Mercury Wheels. They are the wheels that Kenda Pro Cycling rides. They make an alloy tubular that comes in at 1280 with the right spoke count. Sell for $650.

http://www.mercurybikes.com/Default.asp?cat=1046

choiboi

by choiboi

LionelB wrote:How much do you weight?

1200g is not going to be that easy with alloy rims.

Something like Ambrosio Crono F20 with CXray spokes (28 maybe if you are lightweight) and some light hubs (Tune, Extralight, etc...) could get you close to that.

69kgs / 152lbs

Those ambrosios are on top of my list. Still seems like it's very limited. I would've thought there'd be a few more options with regards to light metal tubbbies by now. I guess everyones moved onto Carbon instead.

Finding hard to track down the Mavic GELs for a reasonable price.

Those Mercury S-Alloys wheels look the goods. Cheers

Where can you buy it online? site doesn't seem to sell it direct to the public.

Any have experience with the brand?
David
[b]'10 CANNONDALE CAAD10

irf3

by irf3

Shoot them an email, info@mercurybikes.com. You can usually order right through them.

My hometown team has a sponsorship deal with them and my teammates ride on the M-3. I've demoed them a couple times and they are solid wheels. No flex, handle the cross winds well, and look great.

tommasini

by tommasini

Something about those mercury wheels yells out to me "too good at that price to be true". I'd go carefully with someone new and unheard of who is selling a new "cutting edge" (in terms of weight) product. Not to say "stay away"....but just be mindful that mercury might be relying on their potential new customers to do some of their long term product proveout.
Last edited by tommasini on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sanjuro

by Sanjuro

I vote F20s. You could probably come in around the Mercury weight, but with hubs and spokes of your choosing and a known rim.

micky

by micky

ultimobici wrote:
micky wrote:Use some Montalbetti DRC Focus 255 or 299 rims.
They were the ones that Extralite built for the Ciclismo test bike from Zullo. They were light but pigs to get the brakes set up on as the sidewalls are super shallow.

I used them last season and yes, a bit tricky to set up the brakes but it's not like a big deal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com