HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: Chaindrop
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:46 am 

Hi guys wondering if you have any insight into an issue i am having.

I am running SRAM Red + Yaw.

I have recently recabled my RD. Going from KCNC Ti + Gore outer to KCNC Ti + ilink. Since the change i have had some chaindrop when crosschaining slightly - 53 x 28/25/22. Normally it happens after a shift down the cassette ie 25->22, the chain slips off the big ring into the little, then i have to click to shift FD to little ring and shift back to big and it shifts immediately.

I have not fiddled with my FD recently and this has never been an issue before. The FD is currently dialled well to have no rub in the big ring. I could move the inner cage closer to the chain when in big-big but i still don't think i should have to be using the cage as a deflector for a chain drop.

The chain is only 1300k old, and is not worn according to the chain checker. The rings don't look old to my eyes (certainly not sharktoothed) and don't skip under load. Upshifting is brisk.

Any ideas? Stiff link? Worn chainrings? Adjust FD?

Post subject: Chaindrop
Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:46 am 

Post subject: Re: Chaindrop
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:09 pm 

Sound like transient slackening of the chain when you're shifting is enough to drag the chain off the big ring. Try tightening the cable a touch at the front mech to just move the cage a tiny bit further across?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:09 am 

OK so i don't think it is the FD position. The chain can drop from the 3rd sprocket down the cassette.

Current setup - SRAM Red short cage, extralite pulleys, SRAM Red XG 1090 11-28, KMC x10sl, Yaw FD, Q rings on SISLs, Cannondale evo, ilink (non-mini), KCNC Ti wire

Recent changes - Gore -> ilink, Standard SRAM pulleys -> extralite

Has anyone running ilinks or extralite pulleys had these issues?

I have ilinks on my other bike, also with red and q rings without any chaindrop.

PLEASE HELP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:40 am 

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
1/ As per Svetty, increase cable tension a little and adjust limit screw to allow FD to move further out. We are only talking a small amount of adjustment.

2/ Service your pulleys. Try a lighter lube. (If we are talking newish RD then cage spring tension should be fine).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:48 am 
Administrator

tried a sram chain already?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:35 am 

Frankie i have been on X10SL chains for over 2 years and have never had this issue before, but is a good thought.

So this has started happening on my other bike now. I am thinking it may be due to a change in chain lube (bike milk). Other bike has standard pulleys otherwise identical setup. Only other change is both are now on ilinks (but has been on i links for about a 1000k without issue until now.

Before i change over all my chains has anyone with ilinks had the problem i describe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:08 pm 

So i think it was the change in lube that caused the problem. Both chains were not stretched (according to chaintool) and had been cleaned and lubed recently with "bike milk" changed both chains to new KMC X10SL (same chain as before) and both bikes shift normally without chaindrop. Will stick to old teflon lube.

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:08 pm