Tire suggestion for stans ztr alpha 340 rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Why is this different than running with tubes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pam

by pam

Road tubeless tire have a very inelastic carbon bead that is also often smaller in circumference than a standard tire. When the bead seats onto the rim it goes from sitting down in the center groove to being wedged onto the larger diameter bead seat. Because carbon doesn't stretch at all I think it puts more force on the rim which somehow is enough to decrease the rim diameter slightly? Each spoke is already pulling with force equivalent to 100 Kg, 2.8 tons for 28 spokes, so the force to do this must be pretty high.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Right. But the air pressure pushes out with the same force regardless of whether there's a tube their or not. I can't imagine that the presence of 0.5mm or rubber changes the shape of the forces being exerted that much. Stiffer bead hooks localize the pressure onto the rim somehow?

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

The bead pushes *down* on the rim, compressing it.
formerly rruff...

RogueTrooper

by RogueTrooper

I am looking to get custom built wheels - dt Swiss 440 clinchers with Chris king hubs 28f/32r, bladed spokes and brass nipples. Then got an idea to use stans ztr 340 with the same set up.

I am 75 kg not a nutter on the bike anymore and just looking for safe, light, bombproof wheels due to lack of decent lbs and riding in the Middle East.

Now really worried about going tubeless having read the comments here. However it seems as though if you use proper tyres there should be no issue?

Looking for advice....

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

My advice would be to forget about using the Stans rims.

There are better quality, cheaper, and more reliable rims available. Pacenti SL23 and H + Son Archetypes for example.

I have experience with all three rims.

I'm heavier than you and have built 20 x 28 wheels with both the latter rims and the wheels have been just fine over the very rough streets here in Toronto.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

phazon

by phazon

Been using ZTR 340s on Kings for 6 months, tubeless with Bontrager r3 TLRs. No issues whatsoever on the crater-strewn, shit-heap roads of the UK :-)

There might be 'better' rims out there, but there's certainly nothing wrong with the Stans in terms of quality, weight and cost IMO.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I'm seeing the Stans at $108-120 US
Pacenti SL23 at $90
H+Son Archetypes at $66 (I have seen as low as $50 in the past).

Making the Archetypes far the best value IMO.

Maybe I was just unlucky, but both my Stans rims had poor quality welded joints that can still be felt under braking, and were hard to true because they were not round at the joint area.

One.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Ryde pulse sprint is a bit wider than the 340 ( alittle stiffer I think, same weight and come in off set drilling. Also it has a good join. try that rim instead.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

To support bikejulio on his take.. I've had stans, archetypes & sl23 as well.. Stans are flexy to build up and are just flat out a bit flexible as the rim isn't that substantial. Had them in 32h and also 24/28. Wouldn't bother again - even in 28h rear they were not reliably straight true for longer than 1000k with me at 75kg.

Archetype is ok. The rim is way heavier and isn't shouting quality vs. sl23.. The set I have in 20/24 are ok but joint is a bit off. Makes me think of it as a commuter or trainer rim.. Nothing interesting about it once you've gotten over the initial interest in width.

Sl23 is great. Brake track is excellent, no problems on joint for me & built up nicely on 24/28 with about 2k Kim's with zero issues.. Would love to be able to get hold of them in UK in non black version.. That's it.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

mr_tim wrote:Sl23 is great. Brake track is excellent, no problems on joint for me & built up nicely on 24/28 with about 2k Kim's with zero issues.. Would love to be able to get hold of them in UK in non black version.. That's it.

Here in Canada and US BHS has an excellent reputation. Suggest you email Brandon and ask. He has silver SL23's.

http://www.bikehubstore.com/Pacenti-SL23-p/sl23-silver.htm

I've had no issues with Archetypes (2 sets now). and they have a pretty good rep too.

One.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Been on 340 rims for a number of years. We have 3 sets that live on road and CX bikes (used for gravel riding). All have Stan's yellow tape, one layer. Road bikes use Vittoria CX, SC, and Pave clinchers with tubes. Zero issues. CX bikes have either Mud front/Jet rear with tubes or Specialized Triggers setup tubeless. Again. Zero issues.

One of the old sets (from the first batch of 340 rims in the US) did develop eyelet cracks. Stan's replaced them no questions, even after a couple years use.