Which BB to get

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eforce123

by eforce123

I bought a SS Hi Mod as my second bike ever. I've been riding for almost 2 years now and the bike had a race face bottom bracket when I bought it used and it's still working fine but two different bike shop mechanics both said that was an odd choice.

What do them mean? Should I just wait till it goes bad? BB are not very much money but so many to choose from Hawk, ceramic speed, etc

My next purchase will be the THM calvicula S.E. crankset probably as it's crazy light and I want a ww bike as i live on a hill/hills
Thanks everyone.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What crank are you currently using?

Race face is just a brand. I'm not familiar with it but I think the mechanics were more surprised with the standard and not the brand.

Maybe take a picture to clarify what you are using.

30mm spindles fit well in cannondale frames and are a bit lighter usually. Thm/sram/fsa/cannondale make the lighter 30mm cranks. If you want to save money look at the sram red exogram integrated spider crank. $/gr saved is extremely low.

If you've experienced poor bearing life or creaking you might need a different heavier approach to address those problems but if not then running standard stuff should be light and ok as long as they fit well together and are installed properly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

eforce123 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:56 am

What do them mean? Should I just wait till it goes bad? BB are not very much money but so many to choose from Hawk, ceramic speed, etc
I'm guessing they meant that Raceface is more of a mountain bike component company.

Don't mess with the BB until the bearings need to be replaced or it starts creaking.

eforce123

by eforce123

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:42 am
What crank are you currently using?

Race face is just a brand. I'm not familiar with it but I think the mechanics were more surprised with the standard and not the brand.

Maybe take a picture to clarify what you are using.

30mm spindles fit well in cannondale frames and are a bit lighter usually. Thm/sram/fsa/cannondale make the lighter 30mm cranks. If you want to save money look at the sram red exogram integrated spider crank. $/gr saved is extremely low.

If you've experienced poor bearing life or creaking you might need a different heavier approach to address those problems but if not then running standard stuff should be light and ok as long as they fit well together and are installed properly.
Crank I have is dura ace 9000. I have not experienced any creaking or poor bearing life etc.

eforce123

by eforce123

GothicCastle wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:26 am
eforce123 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:56 am

I'm guessing they meant that Raceface is more of a mountain bike component company.

Don't mess with the BB until the bearings need to be replaced or it starts creaking.
Okay, I'll just wait it out then. Thank you

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

hawk or bbinfinite. strong proponent of BBinfinite.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com