Yokozuna brake cables with 2012 SRAM Red Brifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cleaner

by Cleaner

I have used Yokozuna Reaction brake cables with the first generation SRAM Red shifters and was able to install their ferrule and fully seat it in the shifter housing and they work quite well. I just built up a new bike with the latest gen SRAM Red and the Yokozuna brake ferrules will not insert in to the bore in the shifter housing. Does anyone know of a ferrule of the proper dimensions that fit the shifter body bore and will accommodate the Yokozuna cables? Jagwire and SRAM ferrules fit and seat in the bore but are too small on the open end for the Yokozuna cable O.D.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

You are not suppose to use ferrules on the shift cables entering the shifters with 2012 Red. The ferrule is built into the lever. The manual clearly states this. I use the reaction cables with 2012 Red and it works really well.

Cleaner

by Cleaner

I did refer to the documentation from SRAM before posting here, maybe you have something different than what I am holding or is posted on the SRAM website, if so please share.

See this picture from the installation manual there is clearly a ferrule indicated in the assembly of the brake housing. The 4 mm ferrule in the housing body is for the shift cables.
Attachments
sram fer.jpg

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Sorry not sure how I misread you post so wrong. Anyways I used the Yokozuna ferrules on the brake cables and it was tight but it works. You need to just push it in a little harder and it will go all the way.

Elrey

by Elrey

NWSAlpine wrote:You need to just push it in a little harder and it will go all the way.

Sorry...
:lol:

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Elrey wrote:
NWSAlpine wrote:You need to just push it in a little harder and it will go all the way.

Sorry...
:lol:

Works on your mom too :thumbup:

Elrey

by Elrey

HAHA. Classic. Sorry for highjack.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com