Chinese hub reliability

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

r300

by r300

I am thinking about ordering a pair of chinese carbon clincher wheels, I have read through the forum to try to find some information regarding hub quality but to no avail. I have also e-mailed the suppliers regarding the hub options and their reliability but didn't really get a clear response.
The novatec hubs seem to have a pretty good reputation and are used by UK builders such as Wheelsmith, but I am obviously tempted by the lightweight EDhubs. Does anyone have an opinion about the two types of hub and how they match up against each other in terms of quality of build and reliability?

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Too general a question...

There are very good and just plain dogsh!t Chinese hubs.

The more generic the branding and cheaper the price, the closer you're getting to the back of the dog at evacuation time...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The "EDHubs" are the top-range from BiTex, which produce great hubs... on their top range. :wink:
Same with Novatec: low-end? Meh! Top-end? Yeah!

Oh, and by the way, many of the branded hubs from small wheel providers (such as Boyd, Neuvation, Williams, etc) are mid-range Novatec or BiTex type stuff. ...

... so Chinese hub? That can mean anything.

At least you didn't ask about frames made in China! Then I'd have to break out the popcorn.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

Lots of variables to consider--bearings, freehubs, etc. I have some BHS hubs being built up, and I'm looking forward to see how they compare to Shimano and US-made hubs.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

upside

by upside

prendrefeu

Break out the popcorn... Luv ya :up:

r300

by r300

CharlesM wrote:Too general a question...

I think I was being reasonably specific actually. My question was if anyone had any had any direct comparison between the ED hubs and Novatec hubs, as mentioned in my first note. Novatec hubs are pretty well known and have a reasonable reputation, I am struggling to find any information as to reliability on the ED hubs.

Or if you want really specific, are ED hubs worse from a build quality/reliability point of view that Novatec?
(If we are being pedantic Novatec hubs are manufactured in Taiwan..)

r300

by r300

OK, so specific as can be.
Are the Ed hubs (257g) from Farsports better or worse than the Novatec (325g) units?
Thanks for the replies.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Nothing wrong with Novatec hubs, nothing at all.

theremery

by theremery

The EDs are comparitively new....this may explain the lack of reviews. Bitex (parent company) have been around for a while tho and have a decent rep. You may struggle a bit to a long term review on the EDs. Better novatecs are the same in terms of reliability as Reynolds in-house hubs (same) etc and can be considered as solid purchases and good value for $$.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

theremery wrote:The EDs are comparitively new....this may explain the lack of reviews. Bitex (parent company) have been around for a while tho and have a decent rep. You may struggle a bit to a long term review on the EDs. Better novatecs are the same in terms of reliability as Reynolds in-house hubs (same) etc and can be considered as solid purchases and good value for $$.

I have a pair of Bitex RAF10/RAR9 hubs a.k.a. EDhubs, their specs are identical. RAR9 is the lightweight sibling of the popular RAR13(a.k.a. bikehubstore superlight and under the disguise of many brands), the main difference is RAR9 uses a smaller bearing(6802) in drive side hub body to save 20 grams. Maybe the bearing size would be a concern for heavy riders, other than that RAR9 is very similar to RAR13 in construction and performance. Details can be found on Bitex's website: http://www.bitexhubs.com/htm/products_detail.php?t=507f06a88e8b7&p=5020db7a2e72f
As for the long term durability of EDhub/RAR9, I can't comment yet, cause I'm still waiting for some Chinese carbon rims to build with the hubs.
Both Bitex and Novatec's hubs have good reputations and one can't go wrong with either. BTW, they are Taiwanese companies, not Chinese. :up:

elviento

by elviento

Depending on whether you include Taiwan in "China", right now mainland China made hubs are still not up to par with Taiwan made hubs (Chosen, Q-lite, Novatec being the top ones). Mainland made frames on the other hand can be top notch (or crap).
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Elviento nailed it, just when I was about to break out the "Who owns this Island?!?!" Special Edition Popcorn. Damn, now I want to make some popcorn anyway.... hmmmm...

Also, I've been using the BHS super/ultra light (whatever it is now) on one of my wheel builds for at least two years. Hubs are still super smooth, still strong and not even a glimmer of a problem with them, despite thousands of miles logged both on road, rough roads, smooth roads and off road. The ED Hubs look sneakily similar, but I've only logged about 1.5k on those so far and they've been great... so far. :thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

kavitator

by kavitator

Bitex
Novatec
great hubs
maby Novatec are more durable becouse of design (and heavier)

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

My front Novatec hub;

The A291SB front hub is very light weight and uses high quality Japanese EZO sealed bearings.
The A291SB can be radially laced and has NO RIDER WEIGHT LIMIT. (76)g

and rear Novatec hub;

The F482SB-SL rear hub is the very light weight version of the proven F482SB hub.
The weight reduction is achieved through selective machining of the hub shell.
The F482SB-SL is available in either Shimano 8/9/10 or Campagnolo 9/10/11 spd configurations.
The Shimano version of the F482SB-SL comes standard with an Anti Bite Guard. (230)g

I built up some (50)mm full carbon clinchers with CX rays and Novatec. 5k miles and no problems.
Last edited by skinnywellfed on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trillo1111

by trillo1111

I've been trying to decide between the Edhubs (rar9/raf10) and regular Bitex (rar12/A713SB) for a build from Farsports (not so keen on the heavier Novatech that other builders use), but after much digging I'm leaning towards sucking up the extra 40 grams on the the Bitex rar12 combo, not because it saves $40, but I suspect the rar12 with bigger bearings will be more durable. The rar9 apparently has 4x6802 bearings (static load capacity of 219 each - Total 876), whereas the rar12 uses 2x6802 and 2x6902 (static capacity for 6902 is 434 each - for a combined total 1300+). When you look at Fair Wheel Bikes hub review for 2012, I do believe the EDhub would have the absolute lowest static load capacity of them all - which raises a red flag for me, and makes me nervous of buying without more long term reviews (or someone explaining to me that static load capacity isn't that important). Also, aren't the EDhubs being used as replacements for the hubsmith hubs which were almost exactly the same weight...? I'm nervous we'll hear the same complaints by June that they had with hubsmith. Otherwise the Bitex rar12 seem to have been proven very good quality, reliability and a killer price -can't see risking rebuilding a wheel with new hubs later trying to save 40 grams on the hubs when the Bitex rar12/A713SB are only 218 + 78 = 296g. Only way the Bitex option at Farsports could be better I think is if they paired the wider raf12 front instead of the A713SB.