HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:01 pm 

Worth it? We talk a lot about light pedals, but then seem to ignore the hardware (non-Speedplay) holding our cleats on. At the end of the day it's all part of the pedal mass...

Good, bad, indifferent?

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:01 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:44 pm 

I have been thinking about this for some time as well, but if you use Look pedals (as I do) the washers are as heavy - or heavier- than the bolts, and they are virtually impossible to find in Ti. This place http://www.jerseycycles.com/Product-Pages/Pedals.html lists them on the website (scroll down towards the bottom), but they are never in stock. Toronto Cycles seems to be the same business, and they never have them either. The weight savings may also be less than I would have thought, considering how heavy those bolts and washers feel when holding them in your hand- less than 20g total for both sides by my calculation, although from the various websites it is very hard to actually figure out what the Ti sets really weigh. The link above says 6g for a bolt and washer, but Total Cycling says 9g for a set of 6 bolts, so who knows? I think that the rust/ corrosion resistance may be a good reason to use Ti for this application as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:21 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

Personally I'm using 6 of these M5 x 9 disc brake bolts + 4 aluminium M5 washers on Time RXS Ti pedals:

Weight is about 2g for each bolt.

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:00 pm 

fdegrove, it sounds like the Time people were a bit more thoughtful than Look when designing the mounting system The look cleats use these odd rectangular thick washers that no one seems to make. I suppose it is worth a try to use standard round washers and perhaps file them to fit. As far as the bolt goes, I think its an M5x12mm for Look cleats with Sidi shoes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:46 am 

Jersey Cycles has them in Ti for Look Cleats.
Scroll down to "Pedal Bolts, Kits, Accessories" It'll cost you $36 USD plus $5 S&H for 6 bolts and 6 rectangular washers.

http://jerseycycles.com/Product-Pages/Pedals.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:44 am 

yes, I know, but if you notice there is no button to add it to your cart. It's perpetually out of stock (I've been trying for more than 6 months).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:04 am 

dmp wrote:
yes, I know, but if you notice there is no button to add it to your cart. It's perpetually out of stock (I've been trying for more than 6 months).

I'll shoot Bob an email. I've been eyeing those for a bit too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:30 am 

I had a look at this for my SPD pedals, but then I weighed the standard steel bolts and washer. The washer from memory wouldn't even register as a gram on my scales (think I couldn't get two to register), and the bolts weren't very heavy at all...I think I worked out based on the 50% Steel to Ti conversion that I'd only save a couple of grams or so, which I didn't think worth it for the reduced strength and price; better places to spend my money. The washers would be fine in the strength department as on SPD they only really act as a position guide, but then you can't buy them seperately, and if you could the $/g saved would be through the roof. Probably better off taking a file/drill bit to the washer, and checking that the bolts don't have an excess and shortening them.

Given its such a critical component on the bike, I'd also rather just leave the bolts as steel.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:24 pm 

I have tried.

I bought these

http://stores.ebay.com.au/3act-bike/Ped ... 34.c0.m322

The washers fit the bottom two, but wouldn't sit right in the front cleat. The bolts fitted fine BUT the new s works shoes require a shorter bolt due to a thin sole (they are included with shoe)
The bolts in this set are the same as the length that come with the keo blade cleats.

The ti bolts and spacers weighed 17g.
The steel s works bolts and spacers weighed 30g.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:25 pm 

Hmmm. That's interesting...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:41 am 

I lose Speedplay screws, they wear out... I've not bothered because they're so disposable.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:41 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:08 am 

I'm using torx head Ti bolts with my campy cleats - same bolts used for disk brake mounts. They come in 10, 12, and 15mm lengths so you can find what you need to match your shoe sole thickness. Two nice things come of this - first the shallow head is helped by the torx feature given that the Ti will be a little bit softer than hardened steel.....and the corrosion resistance of Ti for a bolt that will see some moisture.

My only disappointment is that Ti washers aren't so readily available.....what few do sell similar (for Look Keo) won't sell separate from the bolts.

Anyways - where things are at it's still lighter than stock!!....and I'm positive that this one upgrade alone helps me ride nearly 3 mph faster as a result :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: