Bar width

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

Zipp SL-88 is sorta traditional, less ramp like the NeoClassic. They come in a 38 c-c. 130mm deep. Only other that is that shallow is I think the S-Works carbon, the Eastons and I think the Dedas, but not sure about those.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Williams is 123mm deep and very light.

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

Went with the Zipp SL-88's. They have the same drop shape as my old 3T rotundo pro and have 40cm (O-O)/38cm (c-c) printed on the tops. However the drops sweep out a little, measuring 39 c-c.
This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me, my bike is useless. Without my bike, I am useless.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

in december i changed from 44 Rotundos (44cm at the hoods c-c) to 3t Aeronovas which measure 39.5 c-c at the hoods and 42 at the drops. before i ordered the aeronovas i was a bit concerned the handling would be worse or it would just be too narrow but i have to say that while the i could definitely feel the difference it felt great straight away. I feel i lean the bike more and the steering is less 'twitchy' if i can say it like that. more stable on descents.

fwiw, im 6ft, 78kg so not a typical cyclist with narrow shoulders. id say my shoulder width is probably a little wider than average for my height if i had to guess (former weight lifter).

I've been training about 10hours a week through the winter and had one week that was 28 hours and have had no muscle pain or problems in my neck or shoulders. my ftp has gone up slightly so no detriment to power output either. I tell myself im more aero now so no excuses for not getting better results this season ;)

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Grimpeur wrote:Went with the Zipp SL-88's. They have the same drop shape as my old 3T rotundo pro and have 40cm (O-O)/38cm (c-c) printed on the tops. However the drops sweep out a little, measuring 39 c-c.

sl88 aint classic doe.

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

Close enough for me, virtually identical to the 3t rotundo and my old ritchey wcs classic, heaps better than all of the BS ergo and compact drops that seem to be the new standard :?
This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me, my bike is useless. Without my bike, I am useless.

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

I always had 42cm bars but a bike came with 44 so I used them for a minute. Decided to go down to 42 for that bike as well not just because of the size but also because preferred different kind of bar.

I now pretty much only have ritchey curves on my bikes. Soma HW1 on the vintage bike which is similar bend to the ritcheys.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

mr4fox wrote:fwiw, im 6ft, 78kg so not a typical cyclist with narrow shoulders. id say my shoulder width is probably a little wider than average for my height if i had to guess (former weight lifter).

I think that bar width should be selected based on your shoulder bones, not muscles. Therefore it's basically irrelevant if you've been weight lifter.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

pinoymamba

by pinoymamba

38 o-o deda on the road
35 c-c 3t on the track

rosuch

by rosuch

I just went from 40 to 42 and the bars feel more comfortable. Personal preference I guess. I suggest getting a very cheap used pair to see if the size would be comfortable for you.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

TurboKoo wrote:
mr4fox wrote:fwiw, im 6ft, 78kg so not a typical cyclist with narrow shoulders. id say my shoulder width is probably a little wider than average for my height if i had to guess (former weight lifter).

I think that bar width should be selected based on your shoulder bones, not muscles. Therefore it's basically irrelevant if you've been weight lifter.

I just meant my shoulders arent particularly narrow. From acromion to acromion i measure about 43cm if that helps clarify.
I dont have the muscles anymore...down 17kg and trying hard to get as skinny as a i can :mrgreen:

VeloZephyr
in the industry

by VeloZephyr

Coming from a track background, I prefer a narrow bar. Most roadie's might say I should ride a 44cm c-c bar, or maybe 42. But I've been on 40cm c-c on the road for a while and prefer it, and I ride 37cm c-c on the track.

The reason I prefer the narrow bars is for safety. Basically it keeps your hands/bars from being knocked by other riders, especially nice on the track.
https://www.facebook.com/VeloZephyr
https://instagram.com/velozephyr/
http://velozephyr.com/

Velo Zephyr | Custom Carbon Fiber Bikes | Handmade in Boulder, CO

bungis

by bungis

Are there any studies about oxygen intake benefits of wider bars? Seems like that's the only potential benefit of wide bars besides more nimble steering and personal comfort.

It's too bad my bike came with expensive, wide handlebars.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Yes, those studies do exist and showed no correlation between bar width and maximum oxygen intake.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fiery

by Fiery

wojchiech wrote:don't mean to threadjack, but since this thread's content contains discussion of moving to narrower bars: Does any company make 38cm traditional bend drops? Most seem to offer 40cm (Ritchey Neoclassic, 3T Rotundo). Zipp seems to have the Sl and SLC2 in 38cm wide traditional bend, but those were all I could find, and from the looks of their geometry diagram, they look almost like more rounded ergo bend and not true traditional bend.

These are the only ones I've found:
http://www.avenirusa.com/parts-and-acce ... -38cm.html

Never heard of the company before, but it seems it is a subsidiary of Raleigh. The bar is most likely quite heavy, but also very cheap at least.