Bar width

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dogg

by dogg

how do you figure that?

i just went by feel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I'm assuming BeeSeeBee used pythagorean theorem.

(a^2 + b^2)^0.5 = c

a= reach (arm length)
b= lever position distance from lever position of wide bars vs narrow bars (44cm - 38cm = 6cm total or 3cm per side)
c= reach of narrower bar

(80cm^2 + 3cm^2 )^0.5 = 80.562cm

Meaning there would be a difference of 5.62mm increased reach for the narrow bar. It could be less if the shoulders are narrower than the wide bar or it could be a little more if the shoulders are wider than the wide bar.
Last edited by bombertodd on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick

by Rick

If I were to go by shoulder width, I would probably be about a 40. When I started riding, 42 seemed "standard" so that is what I rode on. Later, I got a good deal on some 38 carbon bars, so I got them and rode on them for a couple years, but I never felt quite right; especially out of the saddle. Now I have gone back to 42 and they feel much more stable when out of the saddle

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Just my opinion. I got a good deal on some 3T Tornova bars last week. I ordered the 42cm as that's what I have on my other bike (Rotundo team). On receiving them I thought they looked narrow but didn't think much of it and fitted them to the bike. On first ride they felt VERY strange! Out of the saddle was almost a disaster I was all over the road!

On getting home I measured them and right enough they measured 40cm c-c at the hoods. On researching I realised this is normal with 3T bars but my Rotundo measure 42cm at the hoods. Weird!

I probably would have got used to them if I persevered but I didn't want 2 different widths on different bikes. I sent the Tornova back for a 44cm which actually measures 42cm at the hoods which feels much better.

As with most things on the bike bar width is subjective and some people may not notice such a small difference but I found a big difference in dropping 2cm.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

narrow bars look good too. so that's a 10/10 on the aesthestics metric

sychen

by sychen

I guess I'm not a normal cyclist build. 170cm in height 47cm joint to joint across the shoulders. Riding 42cm bars on my first road bike gave me shoulder pain. Moved to a 44cm hood to hood cheap alloy bar as a test more or less fixed the pain. Depended on the rider I say. If you can get away with narrow bars .. Do it. I would if I could.

KWalker

by KWalker

I was thinking about this the other day and after seeing Hansen's Vuelta breaks and wins, I'm of the camp that it probably doesn't matter. The dude has super narrow bars but his elbows are out to the side like chicken wings and he is gripping the hoods on the very outside, basically as if he was on 1 size larger bar. Even in the drops there are so many ways to grip it that it probably doesn't matter. Wiggo and Fabian ride 44s and get much "better" of a profile on them than some of the current pros on super narrow bars.

I accidentally ordered some 42cm Zipps thinking they still measured O-O. They do not. Only found out now when I just measured. Had been on 40s for 3 years prior and didn't actually notice a difference. Your elbows and hands aren't locked in place, shouldn't matter.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Agreed. It's not your bar width that makes your elbows stick out. So if Hanseeno changes to wider bars his hands will move wider out and probably his elbows following suit. I'm in the camp that if you can handle handling/steering changes you're more aero with narrower bars. If you're using alloy bars, it's a relatively cheap way to lightening up and lessening frontal area.
Less is more.

KWalker

by KWalker

I think you missed my point. It doesn't necessarily narrow frontal area. Hansen is the greatest example vs other riders with wider bars. He thinks, in theory, he is much more aero, but it really doesn't look like it makes him much more compact nor are his elbows much narrower.

With road bars your hands and elbows can move a lot and are going to find the most optimal position based on self selection. The comfort associated with their ability to this can be associated with bar width, but I've yet to see any data to show that in real race situations it truly reduces drag. I've done some roll down testing and if you purposely hold your arms in that position the results are within the margin of error.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I agree with KWalker, I think I made this point a while back too...elbows out etc. I think Hansen believes it also makes it easier for him to slip through narrow gaps while riding in the pack...

Psychosomatic...

Getter

by Getter

KWalker wrote:I accidentally ordered some 42cm Zipps thinking they still measured O-O. They do not. Only found out now when I just measured. Had been on 40s for 3 years prior and didn't actually notice a difference. Your elbows and hands aren't locked in place, shouldn't matter.

I ordered some Zipp 40cm bars thinking they were measured O to O. So my bars were around 38cm at the hoods. Its been two years...still riding them.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Thinking further about it, yes you're right KWalker. The elbows (forearms & hands) all have to be inside your body width to gain full reduction of frontal area. I'll stick to narrow bars though as I find it more conducive to moving my hands and elbows in.
Less is more.

CXrider

by CXrider

what is the most narrow handlebar that's available?

jpanspac

by jpanspac

Salsa Cycles Pro Road Small 2 bar is available in 34cm. I don't know if there's anything smaller.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Man, I was ready to give narrow bars a try, but based on observations here I'm going to stay with what works for the time being.

Ever get to where things are dialed in really well? I couldn't be more pleased with my setup.

A lot of this Nth degree stuff in so in the noise, and so complex that I believe the only way to realize any gains is when you begin getting results over time to the point where it becomes completely enjoyable. But then again, there are so many contributors/variables we may never really know. Just try to have fun and be safe out there.