Sram will launch electric groupset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

expan

by expan

I interesting to re -spec my TT bike and i was wondering if SRAM is going to launch a red groupset electric? I am SRAM fan so i dont want to buy a Di2 and if the SRAM will launch a electric grroupset maybe it is good idea to wait....
Post whatever you hear...

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I wouldn't expect to see anything too soon from them: http://303cycling.com/Help-SRAM-Communi ... ting-Trend

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skimons

by skimons

well, market response on the new SRAM campaign is, let's say, not very positive :)

so they probably want to bring it out very fast!! :mrgreen:

expan

by expan

skimons wrote:well, market response on the new SRAM campaign is, let's say, not very positive :)

so they probably want to bring it out very fast!! :mrgreen:

what is the new SRAM campaign???
I believe that is matter of time for SRAM to launch e-group
because the other 2 competitors have allready e groupsin their stable
thing is when????

JensW

by JensW

madcow wrote:I wouldn't expect to see anything too soon from them: http://303cycling.com/Help-SRAM-Communi ... ting-Trend

thought that was fake :D

expan

by expan

sorry what is this? edited by Jipperd, spam post above deleted

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

Sram's campaign:

SRAM has not jumped into the electronic-shifting game because SRAM believes the bicycle is a pure, leg and lung-powered expression of utter simplicity and grace. And using a battery to power an essential part of the experience just isn’t right.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

Tug Boat

by Tug Boat

Does that mean SRAM is anti-bike-light?

expan

by expan

Tug Boat wrote:Does that mean SRAM is anti-bike-light?

I dont think so because SRAM red is still one of the lightest Groupsets

Tug Boat

by Tug Boat

That would be anti-light-bike.

I was asking about battery operated illumination devices.

djconnel

by djconnel

SRAM to buy SON?

Pantani

by Pantani

Do we have any data on the sales volumes of Di2. Anecdotally, it appears to have sold very little in Ireland because of the sheer cost.

I would say that when there is enough volume in the market SRAM will enter it.

I'd be surprised if they are not working on something but that doesn't necessarily mean it will see the light of day any time soon.
Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts.

Danton

by Danton

See the Tour of California or if not, the Tour de France :wink:

It's surely unimaginable that this company says "ok Shimano, ok Campagnolo, you guys go ahead with this and we'll sit on the side". Plus I think someone was saying the black version is a surefire sign that it's coming, because the trick of a colour change is what SRAM does when it's about to kill a groupset (see their MTB versions).

All the same I am not convinced. I see Di2 as very good and particularly useful for chrono/triathlon bikes but it is not a radical improvement on Dura Ace. The same for Campagnolo, it is heavier than SR.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Pantani wrote:Do we have any data on the sales volumes of Di2. Anecdotally, it appears to have sold very little in Ireland because of the sheer cost.

I would say that when there is enough volume in the market SRAM will enter it.

I'd be surprised if they are not working on something but that doesn't necessarily mean it will see the light of day any time soon.

Shimano does not share those numbers, but worldwide it's been a case of more demand than supply. Sales will change dramatically for electronic next year. Pictures of Ultegra Di2 have leaked and those levers are branded. Without saying anything that isn't already known, Shimano does not brand something until it's production ready. So to think that it won't be officially announced this sprint/summer would be wrong. The pricing on it is not official yet, but let's just say if price is the only driving factor for sales, Ultegra Di2 should sell more units than mechanical dura ace this year.

Danton wrote:See the Tour of California or if not, the Tour de France :wink:

It's surely unimaginable that this company says "ok Shimano, ok Campagnolo, you guys go ahead with this and we'll sit on the side". Plus I think someone was saying the black version is a surefire sign that it's coming, because the trick of a colour change is what SRAM does when it's about to kill a groupset (see their MTB versions).

All the same I am not convinced. I see Di2 as very good and particularly useful for chrono/triathlon bikes but it is not a radical improvement on Dura Ace. The same for Campagnolo, it is heavier than SR.

You're right, I'm sure it won't happen that way, but perhaps it's a patent issue. Shimano and Campag together own 100's of electronic patents, maybe Sram just can't find a way around them, and maybe Shimano/Campag don't want to license any of them, or course I'm just guessing there.

The other issue is maybe they just can't get something as good as what they need. Keep in mind that while Sram is a pretty big company, they've never really been a development company. Traditionally Sram has bought smaller companies and refined those designs. The double tap road shifters were likely an in house development but I'm sure it took a long time to get them to a point where they could be released. Starting from scratch with a full electronic group seems it would be much more time consuming. Look at how long Campag and Shimano has been working on it. Shimano is almost a decade into it's development as is Campag. If Sram only started a year or two ago it would seem they have a while til they hit right.

The rumor as I heard it was that Red/Black was not being killed but Force was. Rival and Red would be the choices. It would seem possible that black could become Force and a new top end group introduced, but I don't think we'll see a new road group this year from Sram. If we will it would likely be a Sea Otter release as that's traditionally release time for Sram.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mcarr810

by mcarr810

Ypsylon wrote:Sram's campaign:

SRAM has not jumped into the electronic-shifting game because SRAM believes the bicycle is a pure, leg and lung-powered expression of utter simplicity and grace. And using a battery to power an essential part of the experience just isn’t right.

Like all politicians John Kennedy lied about cycling being better than Marilyn