Stevens Comet SL 2014 price ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

That's a pretty light bike (advertised at 4.9 kg) for a stock one :shock: !!!

http://www.stevensbikes.de/2014/index.p ... lang=en_US

Fully packed with pricey parts (Carbonsport Lightweights, AX Lightness, THM Carbone) !!!
I know, a few downsides, like the headset and tires...

But very nice IMHO.

Anybody saw a price for this model ? I'm curious...

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gb103

by gb103

Recommended retail price €12999.

http://www.stevensbikes.de/2014/index.php?bik_id=233

Hope that helps.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Would you spend that kind of money on this bike?
Me say no.
Praxis chainrings, although might be good, from aesthetical point of view, they don't fit there well.
And with the very few changes that could be purely germanic rig :)

LouisN

by LouisN

Personnally, I wouldn't spend this kind of money on my bike in a decade :lol:

I just thought we rarely see full stock weight weenie "packages" on brands's websites.
But many $5000.+ framesets.
I think it's totally worth it.

I also think the "purely germanic rig" thing is cool. At this point, I'd love to see an SRM "THM Clavicula Special Edition" on it :D !!!

cerro

by cerro

1415chris wrote:Would you spend that kind of money on this bike?
Me say no.
Praxis chainrings, although might be good, from aesthetical point of view, they don't fit there well.
And with the very few changes that could be purely germanic rig :)

Agree with you. Don't understand why so many chose Praxis for lightweight bikes. Sure, maybe the are good but they aren't that light.

Krull

by Krull

i would not spend that kind of money for any bike. :-)
but i eventually would buy the comet frameset. i think it costs something like 2000.- euro, which seems quite affordable, compared to frameset-prices of many other brands. and it looks really good, at least for those, who like classical appearance.

tinozee

by tinozee

I like the look of that frame. I think the SL model is 2600 euro and the standard 2000.

elviento

by elviento

Chainrings are wrong. Otherwise fine. No won't spend that kind of money. Not even for German products.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

LouisN

by LouisN

I too consider that 2000 euros for a respectably good and light frame (around 800g for size 56) is a fair price.
The 600 euros "SL" difference is for the THM Nimbus fork option... :noidea:
So...
If we took all the "germanic" parts and add their MSRP to the total, it would proably come close to the price asked for the whole bike.

I wonder where they manufacture the Comet frame. The SLC Team was manufactured by Carbotec.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

In defense of Praxis Works rings, why sacrifice perfect shifting for weight?
When it all boils down too it, there are certain areas of a bike build that mean the most to some people.
For me shifting is key. If someone can prove that Tune Carbon rings shift better than Praxis, then I'll get a set of Tune.
Maybe Steven's figured something out by going with Praxis. I could be wrong but Praxis makes the Cannondale rings.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

That argument could hold true for any bike part though. From what I've read over the year the best brakes by their operation are Dura Ace yet EE, THM, Ciamillo etc. all make lighter brakes that possibly don't operate as well.

Despite my obvious bias here, being a chainring manufacturer (amongst other things) I'm not quite sure why Praxis rings have become so huge either. I don't have any objection to them, but they're certainly not the first chainring I think of when building a light weight bike. Even if we didn't exist I'd still be looking at other lighter options. If I was considering a race bike that wasn't all about the weight, then it may well be a different story.

Tune carbon rings....?

As for the whole bike here, I think it's rather nice. the chainrings look out of place imo, but other than that, it looks great. the only thing I have a bit of an issue with is an 'off the shelf' bike at 13000 Euros. It's only a few years ago when 13000 Euros was a full custom show bike, I guess that there's more wealthy people out there than I thought!! :D

Krull

by Krull

LouisN wrote:
I wonder where they manufacture the Comet frame. The SLC Team was manufactured by Carbotec.

many indications that the manufacturer has been retained unchanged: similar frame-weight, identical geometrie, very similar or even identical shape...

tinozee

by tinozee

I think it was called Stratos in 2012 and had the standart thm fork. Not sure who makes the frame.

How is the ride?

Krull

by Krull

just got a slc 2011, predecessor of the Stratos. the Frame weighs 887 gram (fork 290 gramm), with replacable derailler hanger, size 54, opulently painted and covered with glossy clear-coat. replacing the glossy- by matt clear coat (Stratos is matt, the comet, of course, as well, like most of the lighter current frames) would bring a weight saving of 70-80 gramm.
so the weight is not far from the Stratos. i suppose ist nearly the same frame, differently painted

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

The SLC had an aluminium BSC BB cup. The Stratos and Comet have a pressfit carbon insert.