Sanding an AX fork - Complete pics on page 2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Hi all,

I'm trying to remove paint from an AX Lightness fork as it was previously painted black. I want to see the bare carbon. Do I run the risk of sanding the carbon and affecting the structural integrity of these forks? I assumed it was impossible to remove the paint without sanding any carbon at all. Should I use some kind of paint stripper - It seems Carbo-Lift aren't active anymore - could anyone suggest a good alternative available in the UK?

Also I guess it will need a clear finish on the forks as the bare carbon won't like direct sunlight?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by CarpetFibre on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Ask at a marine shop - they have paint strippers that are formulated to not damage the resin of fiberglass boats.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Use a razor blade and scrape off paint, fastest and most friendly for the carbon underneath the paint.
Experimental Prototype

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Razor blading seems to work okay. Sanding works fine also. Carbolift sucks, but there are other products. Do make sure they don't damage the epoxy. Another option is soda blasting.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

I do recommend razoring in front of sanding for a unexperienced person as in this case a weightweenie fork, its easy to sand too much or use too fine paper and be impatient.

Razoring cannot pass one layer of carbon before it gets blunt, and the dust is OK compared to carbon dust.
Experimental Prototype

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Thanks guys for the advice. I'll give the razors a go.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

The razor technique is going well. It takes ages but I'm getting through it.

Now, my next question is will this need a clearcoat over the top? Are there any specific products that I should steer away from?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Three options:

A) Clearcoat (one that is for outdoor/UV use)
- This can be done at an auto shop if you prep it yourself. They have access to the good stuff that may not be available for sale to consumers depending on local environmental laws, including cleatcoat that is flexible (which is good), any finish.
- Buy a spray can yourself. Short sprays in duration, 6" approx distance from target. Let dry. Light sand with utlra-fine grit. Repeat. Buff finish.

B) Use 303 Aerospace protectant. It works, it is lighter. Needs to be re-applied every so often though.

C) I've heard a wax coat works, but you'll need to re-apply this too.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Thanks Prendrefeu that's massive help. I'm quite keen on that 303 protectant, I might give that a go. How often do you think I should replace it - every time I clean my bike perhaps?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

That I don't know, you may have to do some digging for that answer. Some people on this site use it, and I think they recoat every 2-3 months (off the top of my head) depending on how often they wash the bike.

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

I recently used the 303 protectant on my stripped Trek frame. The finish is really nice. I plan on reapplying quarterly. Calfee and Parlee use 303 on their nude frames if you're looking for finish examples.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I was under the impression nude Parlee frames are waxed and don't need more than one application...

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Alternatively you (CarpetFibre) could just call Parlee and see what their recommendation is: wax or 303, and how often.

They know carbon. :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

artray

by artray

What is the line running all the way down the fork just above the ax logo ? Looks like you have taken a strip of carbon off or is that how it was? Can you feel a groove in that line?