Corima Rim experiences?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

commfire

by commfire

Hi all,
I am researching some everyday/race wheels for 2013.
I am curious about Corima rims but cant find a whole lot of info.

I am hoping some of you have first hand experience regarding the Aero 2d clincher rim. Specifically, looking for feedback regarding the brake surface performance and any known failures.

Thanks

kgt

by kgt

I used to have Corima aero + tubulars. Top wheels for the price especially the rims. Super durable, no weight limit, used for CX as well. Braking with corima pads was fine. Braking in the wet was not that great but that is the case with most full carbon wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quattrings

by quattrings

I've got a corima disc and 4 spoke. I don't know which year but it's an early version. only thing i can say is the hubs are buttery smooth, dare I say dura ace smooth?
Braking in dry conditions is good given it's an earlier model, braking should have improved in later wheelsets. Braking in the wet... well who needs brakes when it's raining anyways :D

commfire

by commfire

Thanks for the replies.
From what I gathered they are a solid rim. Certainly when holding one up close it has a solid feel. Was surprised by the lack of brake track so just curious what experiences people had with the clincher and heat issues.

Pantani

by Pantani

I can only comment on the winium tub rim - nice wheels but zero braking in the wet on the shiny rim surface.
Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I rode the Winium clincher rim (older one) for a very short period of time. Can't comment on heat dissipation, but braking in the wet was very poor.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Braking in the wet aside, what's the stiffness of the Winium like?

giantdale

by giantdale

Very good indeed :thumbup:

quattrings

by quattrings

Needed to repair a punctured tire on the disc today and was instantly reminded about one downside to these wheels. They are stupid tight.

I'm talking reorganizing the soft tissue on your hands, snapping tire levers and that's just getting the first sidewall over the brake track on stretched tires. The disc and four spoke don't have a bead hook, so I guess they need to be this tight to keep the tire on.
What's it like on other Corimas?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Pantani wrote:I can only comment on the winium tub rim - nice wheels but zero braking in the wet on the shiny rim surface.

Ironically I wouldn't recommend using Corima's own cork pads on their rims. They brake fine with pads from Campa for instance and Swisstop Yellow King (which I found way too grabby).

Corima has changed its distribution policy again so prices on the rims and wheels may vary from one country to the next.
Still the rims are absolutely top quality but I wouldn't go for any of the earlier clincher rims as these were not meant for tyre pressures higher than 8 (?) bar. This may seem high enough but I seen them crack open more than one.
I must admit that I don't see much point in running carbon clincher anyhow as there are more cons than pros over their tubular version IMHO.

Nevertheless if the TS wants as set of older Corima clinchers I know of a shop that sells them really cheap. So PM me if anyone 's interested in those.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Praha19300

by Praha19300

plus they look super funky , how come the Asians can't replicate that look?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com