SuperSix/SystemSix lower headset bearing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

I need the lower 1.5 inch headset bearing to fit the above frames, anyone know a good source where I can get it individually?
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Yeah I've seen individual bearing but it doesn't look correct if you compare it to the one thats part of the headset, do you know for sure its the right one? There are many different types, I think what makes the Cannondale one different is that its 36/45 rather than 45/45?
Ti or dye!

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

I have super six and had system six.. and you cant go wrong with cannondale expert website... but you need to buy the complete kit
Ninja

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Surely theres a way of just getting the lower bearing? I don't need the complete headset. :(
Ti or dye!

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

the bearing shown at edinburghbicycle is for the headshok/lefty frames. it has no taper to the seat areas.
i'm pretty sure it's now the same as the 1.5" individual bearings that Cane Creek offers. it should be approx $20, and any shop in the US should be able to get it for you.
if you are in fact IN the US, qbp's part # is bb2204, take that to any bike shop, have them order it, i dont know of any shop that does not order from qbp.

Getter

by Getter

Your best bet may be to contact a local Cannondale dealer. Try and find one that has been a dealer for a long time. They may have ones sitting around.

That QBP number came out to be a Cane Creek 1.5 bearing...

The lower bearing is a 45/45 angular contact.

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Ok I've made a breakthrough in this(to me!)confusing 1.5" tapered steerer malarky and hopefully if anyone else is struggling this info will help. First issue was trying to source a lower bearing without having to buy a full Cannondale headset. Well I purchased KCNC complete tapered headset online for just over £30, it has FSA No42 compatibility and the bottom bearing is 45/45 and fits SuperSix/SystemSix headtubes and is compatible with the crown race that Cannondale supplies to fit its own 1.5 tapered forks. So one problem solved, a complete headset that works with Cannondales that is way cheaper and I'd assume there are many other compatible brands. Now the other issue is if you buy non Cannondale tapered forks(like I did) and find that the Cannondale crown race doesn't fit, well I bought a cheap set of tapered forks and made it fit with a lot of filing, I also bought a set of Easton SL tapered forks and found it no where near fitted, you'll find that rant on here somewhere! and I've also since come into contact with DEDA RS tapered forks that the crown race didn't fit either without heavy modification, well it turns out that Cannondale forks have a specific crown race fit whereas it seems every other brand uses a different but common fitting, the crown that came with the KCNC headset fits the Easton and DEDA forks, allowing these forks to be fitted to your SystemSix/SuperSix frames, I've also bought a separate crown race for use in a 1.5" FSA Orbit Extreme Pro headset and that works too. So hopefully now I've cleared this issue up for those struggling as much as myself, of course now I've sorted it Cannondale have now decided to go 1 1/4 :evil:

Forgot to mention, if you buy an aftermarket headset like the KCNC I bought and run Cannondales tapered forks you will need Cannondales own crown race, the one that comes with the KCNC would be too big. Luckily the Cannondale crown race is an easily available part you can get from your Cannondale LBS.
Last edited by BeeBee30 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ti or dye!

KB

by KB

ah yes, know what you mean with this. the dale one is different. what my lbs did was exactly the same as you, i.e., they did some filing to make it work with different forks.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

just to clear it up some more, the cannondale supersix uses a 1.5" lower bearing, 45/45degree.
that also means that the cane creek 1.5 bearing, available individually, will work...

Rick

by Rick

For just about any headset problem or part, call cane Creek support line. They have incredible inventory of odd parts that never make it into the catalog, but they really know what they are talking about.

Getter

by Getter

The solution is fairly simple to the Easton fork. I just bought a $30 dollar FSA headset that matched the Cannondale lower bearing specs. I'm sure this would apply to other aftermarket taper as well.

Its not as difficult as some make it out to be.

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Getter wrote:The solution is fairly simple to the Easton fork. I just bought a $30 dollar FSA headset that matched the Cannondale lower bearing specs. I'm sure this would apply to other aftermarket taper as well.

Its not as difficult as some make it out to be.

In fact its very simple once your in possession of the facts which companies like Easton don't help much in providing :roll:
It is actually by reading threads of yours on other forums that cleared it up for me :D
Ti or dye!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Bumping this thread just to see if anyone has been able to source the lower headset bearing for a 2011 Superix. It is a 1.5 inch bearing, however, it is taller than your standard 7mm, like over 8mm. The only option I could find was to purchase the complete headset from CannondaleExperts. Called Cane Creek, called FSA... they don't seem to have this particular bearing, just your standard 7mm high bearings.
The original builder actually used a 1.5" bearing of std 7mm height which does not work in this frame (fork crown will rub on lower headtube). To compensate, he put a big washer between the crown race and the bearing and called it good. No wonder the thing never worked properly. Anyway, I can't give this bike back to the owner like that, and even though I've got a solution on the way, I found this thread and just thought I'd double check to see if
1) anyone knows of source for this particular bearing by itself, or
2) anyone knows the exact spec of this bearing, particularly the height.

Thanks
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

maddog 2

by maddog 2

Superstar do a cheap 1.5 45x45 lower bearing but as you say, it's the standard 7mm height

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=439

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com