HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:40 pm 
in the industry

MavicZack wrote:
For 2014, the CCU wheels get what we call TgMAX carbon fiber. It's a specific carbon/resin blend (several different kinds) that is followed by a heat treatment protocol to raise the melting point (Tg or glass transition temperature). Finally, the exterior gets a mechanical finish treatment to rough up the surface a bit. it provides amazing brake bite, especially in the wet where we measure stopping distances of 1/2 the nearest competitor.

Firstly, let me say that I love these wheel sets. A friend had a massive crash with these where he snapped his frame in two and only broke two spokes on his front wheel, fantastic!

Now to the detail.... What's the purpose of the higher Tg resin (I'm assuming that the carbon is the same) and what is the Tg going from/to. Also, 'roughing up' the braking surface sounds like a good idea but I imagine that it's just resin that's 'roughed up' so surely that will wear to smooth very quickly?

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:40 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:16 pm 
in the industry

Hi,
That's actually a great question about the rise in Tg. I don't know the precise details of original vs. new Tg. I do know that in testing of carbon clinchers during development of the CC 40, there were only 1-2 brands that came close or equaled the Tg of our TgMAX carbon. The rest melted or softened at a lower temperature. So, as an industry reference, it's pretty high.

Regarding the surface treatment. I'm told that wear on the carbon surface brake track will be nearly nonexistent. I'm told that the carbon surface is much harder than aluminum for example. So it should stay as coarse as the day it was born for many years.

http://www.facebook.com/mavic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:55 am 
in the industry

I understand and agree about the wear on the brake track in general, the same will apply to any carbon brake track regardless of texture. What I'm wondering about is the actual texture on the new Mavic braking surface. I don't imagine that the texture itself will contain any carbon, my guess is that it's just part of the moulding process and the texturing might be designed into the mould itself so it is in effect just resin but feel free to correct me. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:20 pm 
in the industry

Hi Stephen,
the brake track surface finishing treatment is applied post-mold. It's a guarded secret, but it's post production, mechanical and appears to be a bead blasting or etching that removes resin. All the little cavities and depressions between fibers where once there was resin are now opened up. It creates a really subtle surface irregularity which adds major brake bite and substantial water clearance in wet braking.
what's cool is that it also appears on Mavic's CC40 carbon clincher, which in combo with its interior construction makes it one of the most reliable and safest available.

http://www.facebook.com/mavic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:12 am 

I've just got hold of a pair of supposedly 2014 CCU. The brake surface is smooth, and look no different from the CCU I've owned back in 2009.
Has anyone here seen a 2014 CCU before and able to confirm your observation on the brake track?

Go to page Previous  1, 2