New Giant Propel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Think the point is that it isn't a general road bike.....you want a general road bike, get a TCR.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbon2329

by carbon2329

My Giant 2004(ish) TCR2 composite, road bike was the same way.

I only rode 23mm tires, so no problem, but a 25 wouldn't have worked too well, I believe. I was always waiting for a small rock or piece of glass to stick to the tire and tear up the frame. Happened once but not too much damage.

Still a great frame at the time.
Attachments
tcr_carbon_2_yellow.jpg

Snabb

by Snabb

On my TCR advanced 2012 25mm tires doesn`t fit. I will try 24mm but I think it`s gonna be real close. I really want to run the Force/attack combo.
Ride lots!

Permon

by Permon

Valbrona wrote:Have the Giant people designed a flawed bike with clearances this tight? http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pho ... -sl/249255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those are 25s on the pic! So, what is the problem?

bjorn240

by bjorn240

I'm sorry, that's just stupid. Not to mention Shimano and Campagnolo specify 405mm minimum chainstays. That has got to be close to that limit too.

Wester-Ross

by Wester-Ross

The chainstay length specified by the manufacturers is one that will prevent catching the chain on the other chainring when cross chaining. Shorter chainstays simply mean greater care is needed to avoid this, which most good riders (Andy Schleck excluded) know to avoid anyway.

This Giant is not really pushing the envelope here as lots of road bikes have chainstays shorter than 405. Time RXR is 402 for example.

Permon

by Permon

bjorn240 wrote:I'm sorry, that's just stupid. Not to mention Shimano and Campagnolo specify 405mm minimum chainstays. That has got to be close to that limit too.

How do You know the lenght of the chainstays? Maybe they are410mm long....!
You cannot say that those chainstays are short just because the rear wheel is close to the seat-tube.... :idea: Seat-tube can be "lenghtened" towards the rear wheel because of aerodynamics.

The fact is, that short chainstays really brings problems (old Cervelo R3 had 399mm) which made the bike really fast reaciting, but the Campa 11sp did not like the short chainstays (crossing of chain when big chainring and upper cogs)

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Permon wrote: Those are 25s on the pic! So, what is the problem?

Ever measured a 25 tyre? Lots are not 25. Ever ridden over a sharp strip of metal and have it embedd and rotate?

As per at least one previous post ... this company is making road bikes with not enough clearance for some 25 tyres. The Blanco guys better hope that neutral service is carrying 23s.

NGMN

by NGMN

Some race bikes have tight clearance. If you aren't happy being limited to 23-25mm tires, don't buy it. Cervelo's S5 is the same way.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

tight is way better than loose.

Permon

by Permon

nathanong87 wrote:tight is way better than loose.

+1

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Valbrona wrote:Have the Giant people designed a flawed bike with clearances this tight? http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pho ... -sl/249255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Judging by your previous attempt at frame design critique

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=111314

I'll take Specialized & Giant's opinion over yours.

It's an aero frame that is designed to give as smooth airflow as possible. SC's are pretty fat tubs so it shouldn't be an issue that troubles Blanco riders much, if at all.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I can't even get a set of spesh roubaix 23/25 tyres in my Time without them rubbing the seatstay bridge. That Giant has massive clearances. ;)

Besides, it probably more concave than it looks in the pictures.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

p. 7 of the 2006 Time VXS and VXRS owner's manual:

Section maxi des pneus 700 x 23

austke

by austke

Was hoping to get my TCR SL0 around the 11th week, but have now been told I cant get it until the 15th week. My LBS says he can get me a Propel SL0 around the 12th week, if I am interested. Heck yes, I said. He will double check delivery date on monday for me. :)
Cant wait.
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com