Tune hubs - are they really any good?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bregne

by Bregne

Okay,

I've got an offer on hand to have a wheelset consisting of Corima Aero+ rims, Sapim CX ray spokes and finally the Tune Mig/Mag 70/170 hubs.

Price: 1000 euros.

My doubt is if the Tune hubs will last. They'll be used for mostly racing in mens junior class in Denmark - And to anyone who has never visited Denmark, the weather is mostly crap. It rains like 180 days a year or so, so they'll see rain and grime.

Will they last through that? Or should i go for DT Swiss 240 hubs instead?

Thanks.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

good enough for Bradley Wiggins to race on.. more than acceptable for your humble racing exploits i'd say :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bregne

by Bregne

Well, i'm not searching for acceptable. I'm searching for the hub that will fit the conditions my wheels will see the best.

Wiggins used those hubs in the Tour, and to me it seemed like most of the Tour was in the brightest sunshine. And do you really know anything about wether he also used the Tunes on the rainy days?

Damn buddy...

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Not to mention the fact that Bradly gets new hubs practically every week so they probably never get wet twice.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

1415chris

by 1415chris

I can't say much about Mig/Mag 70/170. I've done just above 1k km on them, mostly in wet conditions.
So far no issues whatsoever. But within this mileage you would expect all hubs perform well.
I've got much more experience with Tune King/Kong which have been in use on my mtb for last 3 years.
No reason to complain, they still roll very nicely. And that was the reason that Tune hubs were on my list for the new wheel set.

If you do search you will find that 70/170 are very solid and reliable hubs.

mca56

by mca56

I had a 180 with problems. Creaking despite several overhauls. Replaced by a 170 this year. Working perfectly so far.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

I've ridden a set of mig70/mag180 combined with dt rims in all weathers and they've been amazing. Free hub is noisy but I like that. I have heard of the occasional glitch but with widely available parts, who hasn't! I'd have them on every set of wheels i own if the bank balance allowed!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Things is not the shitty weather or your blistering power output.. The question is are you prepaired to keep them clean and keep and eye on the preload system? Yes then yes.. No then buy dt Swiss bases wheels.

I've got the best part of 10000kms on some very light extralite based wheels and as long as you look after them, rain or shine they are great..
The tune will cope pretty nicely but they are not set and forget items.. Remember that and your gota a bit of a deal on your hands. :thumbup:

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

The Mig 70/Mag 170 combo is solid one. They seem to be consistently durable, and they build up a pretty rigid wheel. They should do just fine in the rain too. We've built up 15-20 sets of the Mig/Mag combo and we've had no complaints or issues so far (knock on wood).

LouisN

by LouisN

Big time creaking on mag 170 here. After 1000 km.

Not solved yet.

Louis :)

nifrodne

by nifrodne

LouisN wrote:Big time creaking on mag 170 here. After 1000 km.

Not solved yet.

Louis :)

added oil in the body :wink:
It's a typical tune problem, but I'm a fan, have 4 wheelsets with tune hubs....

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have five sets of wheels with this hub combo. I weight 170 lbs and have never had any issues whatsoever!! I love them, relatively maintenance free and never make any creaking. They are all laced up to enve carbon wheels if that helps.

Geoff

by Geoff

They are light, that's for sure. They still use cartridge bearings, though...

by 11.4

Tune rear hubs had a creaking problem a few years ago, and you still run across it. Tune re-engineered the hubs slightly but it didn't always work. That said, practically any hub has problems from time to time.

Tunes tend to lose their preload settings, especially when exposed to a lot of water, so you have to be prepared to open them up and clean and adjust regularly. Frankly, though, that applies to all hubs short of Phil Woods. That pair of wheels may be a good deal, but there are many good deals and in your weather you might just get a nice custom pair of wheels with good rain-capable alloy rims for less money. Dura Ace, Ultegra, Campy Record are all superb and bulletproof. For more money so are Chris Kings. In between are White Industries. DT's are good but I don't like the spoke geometry as much, but they let you swap freehubs from Campy to Shimano and back, which is something. I'm sure I'm missing some.

Rims? Anything in a Kinlin, a H+Son Archetype, Hed C2, etc. You won't believe what an improvement in cornering and tire reliability you get just by going to a wider rim in wet weather. You'll race better than by going to carbon rims.

But short version, those are bling wheels and you either better do regular overhauls and be prepared nonetheless to trash them more, or get some wheels that make more sense for the weather.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bregne

by Bregne

sugarkane wrote:Things is not the shitty weather or your blistering power output.. The question is are you prepaired to keep them clean and keep and eye on the preload system? Yes then yes.. No then buy dt Swiss bases wheels.
:thumbup:

Well i'm a always (some might too) obsessed with keeping the gear clean and smooth. That said i'll still need to deal with rain and grime.
I think i'll take the chance and go with theese hubs.