Cannondale SISL crank on Scott Foil

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kingston

by Kingston

I have a great offer on a Scott Foil Premium, but am not sure if I can install a SISL crank on the frame. The frame is a bb86, but can`t find out if there is any solution to make this happen.

I did search, but maybe not good enough.

Thanks-

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikep77

by mikep77

Spindle lengths are different so they won't work. (bb30 is too narrow for a bb86 shell)

davidalone

by davidalone

why limit your frame choice based on a singel crank?

the sisl is a nice crank, but i wouldnt limit my frame chocies based just on a crank. lots of other nice cransk out there.

lechat

by lechat

wonder if the longer spindle for the new Spidering would work?

Kingston

by Kingston

davidalone wrote:why limit your frame choice based on a singel crank?

the sisl is a nice crank, but i wouldnt limit my frame chocies based just on a crank. lots of other nice cransk out there.

You are right, but since it's a SRM spider, I can't afford to buy a new power meter and a crank.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

lechat wrote:wonder if the longer spindle for the new Spidering would work?

Nope. The hollowgrams are designed for a 68mm shell, the SRM specific spindle just displaces the whole crank 1mm to DS (i think) to clear the SRM. Nothing is going to cover 18mm difference in BB shell diameter. If you had a custom spindle machined your q factor would increase by 18mm as the profile of the crank arms is based around a BB30 shell dimension.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rahul12

by rahul12

If you are referencing the Baum, then you are looking at higher end custom options.
Pretty much any custom steel or ti builder worth his/her salt will be able to create something that is Di2 specfic.
rahul

grover

by grover

BB86 uses a bearing that is designed to accomodate a spindle diameter of 24mm. Hollowgram cranks use a 30mm spindle. There is no bearing in existance that will fit into a BB86 shell and have an inner diameter of 30mm. It is impossible to fit Hollowgram cranks on BB86 framesets ("Shimano pressfit")

Kingston

by Kingston

Thanks for the answers.

Could you recommend me a versatile crank/powermeter that will work with most frames.

Is Rotor 3D with quarq/srm the best solution?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Rotor with quarq/srm
sram gxp with quarq
clavicula m3 with srm
lightning with quarq/srm
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

grover wrote:BB86 uses a bearing that is designed to accomodate a spindle diameter of 24mm. Hollowgram cranks use a 30mm spindle. There is no bearing in existance that will fit into a BB86 shell and have an inner diameter of 30mm. It is impossible to fit Hollowgram cranks on BB86 framesets ("Shimano pressfit")

Yes, there is. Rotor makes a bearing called 4130, which is exactly that. I am going to use it on one of my bikes when I get my Rotor Power crank in january.

Kingston

by Kingston

So I could buy a Rotor 4130 bearing set, install it in a BB86 pressfit frame and my SISL SRM crank will fit?

grover

by grover

I stand corrected. That is very good news. Someone had to do it, it was only a matter of 1mm anyway.

http://www.rotorbike.com/products/road/bb86-frame_40
That's the product. Your Hollowgram cranks still won't fit without some modification to the spindle. You'd need to remove the lip from the non-drive side of the spindle and then users spacers to take up the gaps. Alternatively, use the new lipless spindle for the SISL2 cranks but you'd need a new spider as well as your current spider won't result in a correct chainline.

ms6073

by ms6073

Kingston wrote:So I could buy a Rotor 4130 bearing set, install it in a BB86 pressfit frame and my SISL SRM crank will fit?
No. Even though the Rotor 4130 press-fit bearings will allow you to insert the 30mm diameter spindle into the BB86 bottom bracket, these bearings are designed for adapting BB386 cranksets to BB86 framesets which are both use the same width bottom bracket shell thus the 104mm spindle for your Hollowgram SRM is too short. So what about a longer spindle? Well that simply pushes the chainrings/chainline further out from the ideal chainline. Imagine how much trouble it would be to tune shifting if your crank was pushed out to the point where the inner chainring was repositioned out to where the large chainring is in the image below:

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kingston

by Kingston

Thanks for the answers, it seem to possible to install the crankset, but it will not work flawless.

Guess I would sell the SISL Quarq/SRM (have both), and buy a Rotor 3D+ crank/power meter as it is suppose to fit more different bottom brackets..... or go for a Venge instead.