How a tubsy could WW his bike.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ticou

by ticou

Before we throw a couple of K's at the question, let's have a ponder.

My saddle. It's the same I used as an am-pro, my sit bones havn't changed, I made the right choice-280g's- I could loose 40-50g's on a modern one, it's not worth it.
I've got a Thompson seatpost, I don't trust carbon, a bit irrational I guess but there you have it;poss 80g's?
There's a rut every five yards on my training roads; sure I'm tempted by a 2-3k Ti, which would garner 600g's. Lynskey Helix anyone?..perhaps one day.
Wheels. There is a hairline crack on one of my eyelets on my rear Elite,which may have happened when i gently trued it, or not. You get the picture; 1550g may be too light.
Brakes. CNCC lightweights would help a little. Not cheap.
Carbon stem and bar; 80g's?. Perhaps.
Lighter forks. There pretty light as it goes anyway.
The greatest WW came from lighter tires and tubes 3-400g's lost where it counts.
Pedals.280g's-tempted by Ti Speedplays at 156g;this is dooable.
Ditching my Chorus sti for carbon downtube shifters,no thanks.

So as things stand, I've got a 61cm steel bike that weighs 18.8 pounds, which ain't bad. By spending 1K I can loose 300g's. By spending £6.8K ( including a SR or Red g/set, and lighter shoes, plus the Helix), I can loose about 1.3kg. Well, the Helix would look very nice instead I feel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

notsoswift

by notsoswift

What is the actual question?

ticou

by ticou

Any divergent views of course.

Dammit

by Dammit

If you don't trust carbon then you may as well stick with what you've got.

Plus, don't fly in one of the new Boeings.

notsoswift

by notsoswift

What sort of weight are you?
Are we talking 100+ (220lbs) or below

Chorus 10sp?
Chain and Cassette (ie consumables) can save about 300gr by themselves
KMC X10SL and Onmi Cassette

You can get wheels significantly stronger then the Mavics (I presume you mean Kysrium Elites) for quite a reasonable price, think 32 hole Record hub, Lasers and a Low 400gr rim clincher (350 tubular) Lots of support if you are around 100kg

I personally think the weight of a saddle has little to do with how it fits, there are a lot of really good options in the 180-210gr range, while therre are a lot of blocks of wood that weight 280, it is too personal to generalise, but you do need to try them
Last edited by notsoswift on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

mjduct

by mjduct

ticou wrote:.
Pedals.280g's-tempted by Ti Speedplays at 156g;this is dooable.

look at the weight of the system, moving weight from your pedal to the cleat on your shoe doesn't actually make your bike perform any better....

tommasini

by tommasini

Suggest a change to the title - to "how a tubsy could ww his ride" and then I'd suggest just get out and ride and eat healthy - you'll loose sooooo many more pounds than just gram counting on the bike, plus be much more healthier

ticou

by ticou

I have a physically active job Tomassini, I have me meusli in the morning and forgo lunch and eat a modest dinner. Some of us are born with a slow metabolism and that's that..however, it's this time of year I get into training on the gym bikes but i know I'll never get below 17.5 stone.

notsoswift

by notsoswift

OK say 110 then
Well first off if you are looking at 1000GBP, I think my suggestions have 500 gr already for about 500
Bars, bars alone will save 80gr min, a stem additional 50gr against the average

Also don't discount second hand bits, you can do very well with things like cranks that will save 100 gr for 100GBP, and probably cost neutral when you sell your bits

Feex

by Feex

ticou wrote:I have a physically active job Tomassini, I have me meusli in the morning and forgo lunch and eat a modest dinner. Some of us are born with a slow metabolism and that's that..however, it's this time of year I get into training on the gym bikes but i know I'll never get below 17.5 stone.

Eating lunch will help speed your metabolism up. When you don't your body stores energy by slowing down your metabolism. It's worried that the next meal is always too far away.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Dammit wrote:If you don't trust carbon then you may as well stick with what you've got.

Plus, don't fly in one of the new Boeings.

This.

If you were actually to spend £6.8k (or even a third of that) you could drop a hell of a lot more than 1.3kg but you'd have to consider other options.

mjduct

by mjduct

Feex wrote:
ticou wrote:I have a physically active job Tomassini, I have me meusli in the morning and forgo lunch and eat a modest dinner. Some of us are born with a slow metabolism and that's that..however, it's this time of year I get into training on the gym bikes but i know I'll never get below 17.5 stone.

Eating lunch will help speed your metabolism up. When you don't your body stores energy by slowing down your metabolism. It's worried that the next meal is always too far away.

Don't eat less, eat more frequently. Meusli can be high in sugar which doesn't help weight loss. Lots of water helps reduce hunger, speeds up metabolism. Read any of the South Beach Books, they are a wealth of information about how most of what is commonly known about food and dieting is scientifically untrue. And it also shows you how to tweak your diet and read labels so you can eat just about anything you want, lose weight, improve your heart health, and reduce your risk of just about everything...

eippo1

by eippo1

mjduct wrote:
Feex wrote:

Don't eat less, eat more frequently. Meusli can be high in sugar which doesn't help weight loss. Lots of water helps reduce hunger, speeds up metabolism. Read any of the South Beach Books, they are a wealth of information about how most of what is commonly known about food and dieting is scientifically untrue. And it also shows you how to tweak your diet and read labels so you can eat just about anything you want, lose weight, improve your heart health, and reduce your risk of just about everything...

Yeah if you're trying to lose weight, lunch is the last meal you want to skip. Also don't eat 3 meals, eat 5 smaller meals = much higher metabolism and is much easier on your stomach.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

eippo1 wrote:Yeah if you're trying to lose weight, lunch is the last meal you want to skip. Also don't eat 3 meals, eat 5 smaller meals = much higher metabolism and is much easier on your stomach.

A recent study (sorry I don't have it at hand) showed that total calory intake is all that counts, and that 5 smaller meals don't help over 3. Not to take this too far from the original question -- does OP even want to lose weight? -- I'd certainly agree that most people feel better not skipping lunch, and it's easier to go for a ride before dinner too when you have something "to burn".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ticou

by ticou

Thanks Guys,

I eat meusli because it gives me the slow energy release I need for my job. My legs ache often after work, and i often have a nap and have little energy in the evening unless i'm determined. With a desk job I'd be in the gym everyday and take an evening ride too. So tiring as my job is, it doesn't sadly make me loose weight. Ergo, I'm cursed with a slow metabolism. I was a v.heavy baby too, and i'm 6ft 1.

Still, i enjoy reading about ultra lightweight stuff without jealousy or resentment, and feel this is far and away the best cycling site i have ever found, and your generosity with pic's and interesting snippets is greatly appreciated. Keep up the sublime work.