Campy EPS and frame choices...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiojan

by audiojan

I have a Parlee Z5 that I really like. Best bike I've ridden in all my 20+ years of riding. With that said, we recently bought a Parlee Z5SLi for my wife (her dream bike) and I'm building it up with Campy SR EPS and ran into all kinds of issues; the battery is simply too large for the chain stay mount so we waited out the V2 battery and mounted it in the seat tube (opened up the drain hole in the BB to fit the charging plug). And of course the V2 battery requires the DIT V2 plus the V2 charger. With all those extra pieces, I bought Record RD/FD and shifters and now had everything for my bike.

Now to the actual question. I have fitted it externally on the frame with the Di2 cable covers. Looks ok, but not perfectly neat. The battery is causing me some headache though… If I use the bottle cage mount, then I can only fit one cage on the bike, which is not enough for the longer summer rides. I'm contemplating mounting the battery under the saddle somehow (and I've bought the cable extensions already for it). Now I realized that Calfee does offer a retrofit for the EPS. Is it worth retrofitting the Z5 for EPS or should I just sell the frame and buy a used Di2? If so, Parlee Z5i is of course high up on my list, but any other frames that should be considered? Options… Keep the Z5 with external EPS wiring; Keep the Z5 and get the Calfee retrofit; Sell the Z5 and get a Z5i; Sell the Z5 and get "X". Let me know your thoughts…

Also, any idea how to get the cable magnet guide that stuck in my wife's Z5SLi chain stay out? The magnet extension with the connector got disconnected from the cable guide and got stuck. I got the wire out (that is attached to the battery) and the wire (with the other magnet end) out, but the short piece with the magnet/connector is stuck in the chain stay… I've tried pushing it out with a metal hanger, but can't get it to move. Any ideas?
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Drag it out with another magnet?
It's a hard one. I'd personally get another z5sli and fit eps. You can always justify the cost of a new bike :D

audiojan

by audiojan

sugarkane wrote:Drag it out with another magnet?

I've used a rare earth magnet and I can move the magnet part back and forth, but the connector side is stuck, not moving.

And another Z5SLi for me is definitely an option. Although (unlike most), I kind of like the Parlee ESX, so maybe I should wait for that..
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

kramnnim

by kramnnim

I've been trying to find a (older) Z5 SL but Parlee is out of them. They have a number of 2012 SLis that some dealers are offering for around $2k. Which seems very cheap so I figured I'd mention it.

...let me know if your Z5 is an ML and you're going to be selling it. :)

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I mounted my V1 battery under the saddle and it worked out great. The cables go inside the seat post and to the battery. I would be happy to send you pictures if you request. PM me.

audiojan

by audiojan

kramnnim wrote:I've been trying to find a (older) Z5 SL but Parlee is out of them. They have a number of 2012 SLis that some dealers are offering for around $2k. Which seems very cheap so I figured I'd mention it.

...let me know if your Z5 is an ML and you're going to be selling it. :)

Sorry M/T… A big question regarding the 2012's though is the V1 battery mount… On my wife's XS frame, there's just not enough space for the larger EPS battery (compared to DI2), the clearance between battery and tire (23mm tire) is about 2mm, which is simply not enough… any dirt and the tire is toast (just hoping the battery would survive). We had to get her the new V2 battery and mount it in the seat tube. Otherwise, the 2012 would be a no-brainer. If the medium would have more clearance (which I guess is entirely possible since the frame is quite a bit larger), then this may be a none issue. If anyone knows if an EPS battery would mount on the chain stay, then please chime in.

kramnnim

by kramnnim

A friend running 6770 Di2 on a 2012 SLi sais he had almost no clearance between his battery and 25c tire/A23 rim. Not sure what he Dremeled to "fix" it...

I asked one of the Parlee dealers if EPS would work without issue on the 2012 frame, and he said...

"With a 2012 Z5SLi we must specify EPS with Parlee before they ship us the frameset. It needs to be factory modified to accept the Campy battery."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

Looks like the EPS battery doesn't fit any of the 2012's… This is one of the reasons why it was moved to the down tube by the BB from late 2012 and on. Guess a 2012 is not going to be the choice then...