HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:23 pm 

I love it. That is the nicest groupset I have seen. I really like the handy work. How long did it take to do the shifters and rear derailer. Can't wait to see it on a bicycle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:26 pm 

I am also interested in how well the rear cassette shifts. I would like to purchase a WW rear cassette as long as it shifts well. I had a aluminum/scandium KCNC Campy 10 speed rear cassette which never shifted very well. I have since only used the Campy SR11 and Shimano Dura Ace cassettes.

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:26 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:33 pm 

mnmasotto wrote:
How long did it take to do the shifters and rear derailer.

The rear derailleur front plate took about 20 mins, then lightly sanded the other areas for another 30 mins (its quite fiddly to get to everything on the RD.

The shifters were the quickest and took about 30 mins for the pair. I think they look much better than having 'RECORD' plastered down the front. Also saved 2g by removing the clear coat :D

Last edited by lo5707 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:33 pm 

Juggler wrote:
I use the Stronglight CT2 on my road bike... and since I use the small ring from time to time (and use Di2) it might not be the best idea

Juggler,

It says on the Fibre-Lyte website:

"Fibre-lyte chainrings are also compatible with Shimano's Di2 system."

So you shouldn't have an issue. There are a number of other threads out there from people that have used them (not sure about on Di2 though)

Last edited by lo5707 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:21 am 

Sanded the brakes down with 1500 grade sandpaper until I got the TRP graphic off (which was luckily near the surface of the clear coat). No need to fully take off all the clear coat as i have achieved the matt 'stealth' look i was after with minimal effort - taking all the clear coat off these would have been an epic undertaking for very minimal gain (say 2-3 grams)

I have also included a pic of a before and after shot of removing all the clear coat off of the brake pad shoes with a blade. A bit fiddly but well worth it in the end as i think the look great and will match the callipers perfectly. Saved about 2g over the 4 shoes too :D

The one on the left is obviously the sanded one :)

Before clear coat removed

After clear coat removed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:43 am 

REALLY like the look. Nice work. What bike is this all going on?

Crank + new rings are particularly good looking.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:58 pm 

Thanks Bingomck,
Bingomck wrote:
What bike is this all going on?

WIthout wanting to attract a load of criticism about my choice of frame..........It is going on a cheap full 3k carbon Chinese frame (EDITED: Frame MC053 - SCOTT Foil Copy). As i am new to the modding/WW world I wanted to trial this out (sanding, clear coat removal etc) on a frame that was relatively cheap first - It will end up as a complete matt finish 3k carbon build and still look stunning i hope.

In any case, despite the frameset (frame, forks & ISP) being a claimed 1500g and wheelset weighing in at 1380g, i am still anticipating a full build in the region of 5.5kg (12lbs) so i am happy :D .

Last edited by lo5707 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:45 pm 
Formerly known as CAADHEAD

Very nice work. Can I suggest that rather than hang these items on a similar looking stealth finish frame where you'd lose the exclusive looks of the parts that maybe something like a white frame with all other parts black like bars. stem, wheels, seat etc in black might look rather cool and sort of 'frame' the parts and show off your hard work 8)

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:10 pm 

@ BeeBee30,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already done the saddle and handlebars and sanded them to matt carbon (see pics) as well as having a matt carbon wheelset. I really like the suggestion of a white frame although I have already ordered the plain carbon frame but it is cheap enough to get a plain white one down the line. I would like to see and entirely stealth carbon bike first and then compare it to your suggestion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:18 pm 
Formerly known as CAADHEAD

Glad you like my suggestion, maybe we need a Photoshop expert to chime i lol

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:19 pm 

Nice stuff! I know campy started using rivets on the FD's after a certain point. I have an older Chorus FD tuned to 57g because the rods were held in w/ C-clips and I was able to replace them with alu rods, ti spring, etc. Functions perfectly! Not sure if you want to go there with your FD though!

Still, the group looks awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:27 pm 

Not liking stealth so much but really interested in how the cassette is shifting. Using a 11-25 Recon alu at the moment that is 101g (Shimano). Would be nice if the Ceradure is both good and lighter :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:34 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

Looks superb. :shock:

BTW, the saddle in the last pic wouldn't be a SSM Aspide Superleggera by any chance? If so could you tell us how much it weighs in its al fresco state?

TIA, ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:57 pm 

BeeBee30 wrote:
Glad you like my suggestion, maybe we need a Photoshop expert to chime i lol

I'm not too bad on photoshop so i will give it a go when the build is complete.
mdeth1313 wrote:
Nice stuff! I know campy started using rivets on the FD's after a certain point. I have an older Chorus FD tuned to 57g because the rods were held in w/ C-clips and I was able to replace them with alu rods, ti spring, etc. Functions perfectly! Not sure if you want to go there with your FD though!

Researching tuning each component as i go along. Haven't got round to the FD yet although i know BTP does a tuned full carbon campy FD at 35g!
cerro wrote:
Not liking stealth so much but really interested in how the cassette is shifting. Using a 11-25 Recon alu at the moment that is 101g (Shimano). Would be nice if the Ceradure is both good and lighter :)

Will let you know. Mine is 12-25 Shimano 10 Sp Alu Ceramic coated 88g complete
fdegrove wrote:
BTW, the saddle in the last pic wouldn't be a SSM Aspide Superleggera by any chance? If so could you tell us how much it weighs in its al fresco state?

The saddle is a full carbon Chinese saddle from the bay for about £63 (€70) - Weighs in at 104g so not ultralight but achieved its aim for my carbon stealth build.

Last edited by lo5707 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:57 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:59 pm 

Going into the super stealth look, you could try to source black bolts for both derailleurs and the brakes.
I like the appearance of bare carbon, but as mentioned above, it would look even better on the contrasting background (frame). But maybe I'm wrong.
Good stuff and keep us posted.

PS
Don't forget to take pics before you start riding, chain and cassette won't keep that nice look for long time, though :wink:

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next