Zipp 303 firecrest clinchers or FFWD F4Rs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tobygfoster

by tobygfoster

I need some help! I'm trying to decide between the above wheel-sets for a Look 695. Simple you might say - go for the Zipps - but there's a price difference of £900 and my wife doesn't really know how much this build is costing me (us), just that it's expensive! The build is currently topping out at £6K. I'm concerned that the FFWDs might fail under constant hard braking, as it seems from the Zipp marketing blurb that they've procured resin that all but guarantees this won't happen. There's little or nothing on the FFWD website. Is it really worth maxing out my credit card for some Zipps or do I buy FFWDs and always regret what could have been and grit my teeth on those long decents?!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cnbky

by cnbky

surely theres a lot of conversation on this, use search at the top of the page.

in my opinion though, you want the zipps at the FFW price, ditch the idea of clinchers and go tubulars..cheaper, lighter, better comfort, much much less hassle.

2012s going for round £1300, the FFWS aren't £400 are they.

and yes, i have been riding tubulars in and out of london with no problems.

sungod

by sungod

as above, if you want to splurge, get the zipp fc tubs rather than the clinchers, and look at 2012 models for discounts

unless you're just dragging the brakes, descents shouldn't be an issue*, and tub rims have the reputation for taking it better than clinchers

* ok, it's possible to create a scenario where near-constant braking is needed, but if you know the roads you can plan ahead and either avoid them or take extra care, pulse/alternate braking, don't allow speed to build up beyond comfortable stopping distance

btw don't just look at uk dealers, check prices for buying from another eu country, when i got some lw wheels from bike24.com it saved me hundreds of quid

drchull

by drchull

?? Tubulars less hassle ?? Mine have always been nothing but. At least the Zipp's have exposed nipples.

One more vote for the Zipps, really a different level compared to FFWD. Get the clinchers if that is what you want.

As said above Bike24 is great, nothing but good experiences with them, though I can say the same about Chain Reaction if sticking in the UK.

tobygfoster

by tobygfoster

Good call on looking at getting them from overseas - although import duty and any warrantee issues are putting me off. My LBS is doing a deal on the frame but charging me full price for the rest of the kit - they're quoting £1415 for FFWDs and £2300 for a set of Zipp 303s. If I buy from another supplier the half-price frame disappears (worth quite a bit with a 695).

I've never had tubulars and as I'm not the most accomplished engineer - my toolkit comprises of a handsaw, an axe and a tape measure - measure once cut twice and failing that buy a replacement on eBay. I'm not sure I could face re-gluing a tyre in the cold, dark and pouring rain which is when the puncture fairly seems to pounce.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Why not ride on cheap wheels for the first season, when in danger of risking a marriage crisis?

mjduct

by mjduct

probikekit is having a 30% off sale on 2012 ZIPPs right now

cnbky

by cnbky

yes, without getting in to a discussion of tubular to clincher, im sure many here will agree that tubulars are near hassle free.

no import tax within EU.

I bought di2 at an official dealer in germany a few months back, rear mech broken, went to UK distributor through the very helpful fellas at Sigma Sport. Warranty claims.

tobygfoster wrote:although import duty and any warrantee issues are putting me off. they're quoting £1415 for FFWDs and £2300 for a set of Zipp 303s.

I hate to say it but, 1400 & 2300 is just not acceptable. What groupo is going on it? di2/EPS?

sungod

by sungod

tobygfoster wrote:Good call on looking at getting them from overseas - although import duty and any warrantee issues are putting me off.
<...>

bear in mind that within the eu there's no import duty and no warranty issue, as long as you buy from an authorized reseller your rights are protected

1415chris

by 1415chris

tobygfoster wrote: they're quoting £1415 for FFWDs and £2300 for a set of Zipp 303s. If I buy from another supplier the half-price frame disappears (worth quite a bit with a 695).

About 2 weeks ago I bought zipp 303 (tubular) for less than £1300 (wiggle). Clinchers were more expensive, something about quoted FFWDs price. So if you can still get these deals, there is no brainer.

LouisN

by LouisN

[quote="tobygfoster"]... the Zipp marketing ... guarantees this won't happen... quote]

Zipp is clearly a winner for marketing. But you know nothing guarantees some bad luck will happen with any part of your bike. Manufacturers certainly are aware of the major issues with brakes tracks we have heard of on full carbon clinchers. most manufacturers say they solved the problem.

If you're concerned about the reliability of the brake track, go with alu brake track, either on a FFWD F4R, or older 303. They're about 100g heavier than full carbon.

If you want the best low weight/performance wheels available, IMHO, get either the tubular version of the Zipps or the F4R.
I know in europe the FFWD tubulars are pretty cheap (With Taiwan hubs. With DT Swiss 180 they must be pretty pricey)
I use the FFWD F6R tubular, and tried some older 404's and also the Firecrest version. I can't see or feel the difference between these brands. On paper the Zipps are lighter.

Louis :)

tobygfoster

by tobygfoster

The bike will be ready on the 31 December! I'll post some pictures of what I chose!
Happy Christmas!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com