High Volume toe shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Hey Everyone!

Alright so I understand this might seem like another typical "What shoes should I get question" however there are actually some really specific conditions I'm looking for some advice/help on.

Right now I ride Bont A2's size 42.5 and I absolutely LOVE them, best shoes I have ever had, love the stiffness, the feeling everything! However, I ride with eSoles and recently have added a "toe lift" under my big toe to help cant my right foot to correct for some morphological and functional asymmetries. This toe lift has done a great job in really improving my knee tracking and actually relieving some of the pressure I used to feel on that right knee.

The problem however, is that now the right shoe is a bit too tight in the toes. What I'm curious about is does anyone have experience with some shoes that might have a more high volume toe box? I'm interested in something that has more vertical area in the toe region, wiidth wise the Bont's are perfect but vertically I could use some extra space. I have heard Sidi Mega have a pretty "high toe" in terms of volume but I was hoping for some personal experience on shoes to look at.

Thanks!
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Check out Northwave Extreme Tech shoes. They have a lot of vertical toe room. I use Specialized footbeds which are quite thick but there's still plenty of space.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

Actually I think the Northwave Extreme with the 3 velcro has a bigger toe box than the Extreme Tech.

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

I have specialized s works and they come with geometry to cant your toe and have a very big toe box. I have normal feet and have too much room. I'm sure even with an insert they woul be good.

I have some of their clothes too and they're just ok so if you've tried them before don't let that be a reflection on the quality of the sworks shoes.

savechief

by savechief

I'll second the Specialized S-Works shoes. Not a terribly wide toebox, but it's very tall.

John
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

AGW

by AGW

I have wide feet and found average size Sidi, DMT and even Shimano to hurt. I was on Pearl Izumi for a while and they fit well, but I have to agree that the Specialized shoes have a more generous toe box, even with the built-in orthotic stuff. One thing you could try is going here, select any shoe. Below the description is a "shoe fitter" app that lets you compare two models. Bont isn't on the list, but it will graphically show you which shoes have bigger or smaller toe boxes, heels, etc.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will definitely look into the Specialized first since I can find those locally. Northwave might be a bit trickier but worth a shot depending on how Specialized goes.

Also, that shoe fitter is pretty cool! :D
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

vittoriashoes
in the industry

by vittoriashoes

Of course I would and should mention our own shoes...Vittoria. 100% made in Italy and available in a high and low volume toebox as well as four widths and a multi-length for people with two different length feet. These option, all of them are available on any model shoe we make. More sizes, widths, models, colors and a lifetime warranty.

www.vittoria-shoes.com

racingcondor

by racingcondor

In my hunt for the perfect (Giro Factor) shoe I ruled out Northwave, Specialized and Mavic for having a toe box that was too high for me (the Mavic managed to be both too narrow and to tall).

drhule23

by drhule23

+1 for S-Works. I know I'm just piling on at this point, but I love these shoes. They bring a smile to my face everytime I put them on.
The more you suffer, the closer you get to transcendence.
It's not the mountain you're climbing, it's yourself. If you don't want to know, stay at the bottom.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

racingcondor wrote:In my hunt for the perfect (Giro Factor) shoe I ruled out Northwave, Specialized and Mavic for having a toe box that was too high for me (the Mavic managed to be both too narrow and to tall).

Why is that a problem? I can understand too little room.

I found Mavic Zxellium were not that roomy vertically with Spec footbeds fitted. They were a little better with stock footbeds but I was concerned I would end up putting a toe through the mesh upper even though they were very comfortable.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

The A2s are heat moldable right? Why don't you just heat them and use the round end of a screwdriver to push it up to increase to volume. The carbon tube can move quite a bit. The other method is to tape something to your toe and place it in the warm shoe and let it mold to the new shape.

headwind816

by headwind816

Mavic Zxellium will come in a "maxi" version for next road season, but I am not sure when the shoe will be available to the public. It may be already; I have not inquired yet as I am riding my CX at the moment (with S-Works shoes).

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

MavicZach has mentioned them in another thread. I think they'd be too big for me. I've got a standard width foot with a narrow heel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

vittoriashoes wrote:Of course I would and should mention our own shoes...Vittoria. 100% made in Italy and available in a high and low volume toebox as well as four widths and a multi-length for people with two different length feet. These option, all of them are available on any model shoe we make. More sizes, widths, models, colors and a lifetime warranty.

http://www.vittoria-shoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I so want a pair of Vittoria shoes but availability seems limited in Australia...