Venge pro or Roval Rapide clx 60?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bmkd32

by bmkd32

I have an option from my team to get either a new aero frame (venge pro) or aero wheelset ( rapide clx 60). I currently ride a s-works roubaix sl2 from 2009 with sram red and bontrager racexlite wheels.

I ride a couple times a week more individual than with people because of life schedule. Alone I average about 23 mph for my 30 mile loop. Pan flat here in Houston. In a group on Sundays we average about 26mph for 35 miles. I like to go ride on the front and push the pace.

I am looking to purchase speed, should I go frame or wheelset?

n1klass

by n1klass

I would go for wheel. Wheels are almost always the biggest uppgrade you can make on your bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theremery

by theremery

Venge is about 40W at 40kmh.....that's a pretty big advantage IMO.....it's about your speed range and I'd be doubting that the wheels can offer as much advantage. HOWEVER.......you may want to do some research and see if the venge's advantages pan out for low profile wheels as well.
Answer.......get the frame and buy a cheap generic set of 60mm carbons with aero and internal spokes (farsports or similar)....with no overheating issues likely on a flat course, the sale of the frame and wheels could fund most of it ;)....hello 45kmh!!
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

n1klass wrote:I would go for wheel. Wheels are almost always the biggest uppgrade you can make on your bike.

+1. Psychological advantage is huge when it comes to new wheels.

LouisN

by LouisN

I'm with theremery,

If you have some kind of sponsorship by the Specialized BS, it's easy to just put some no name wheelset (Planet X, Bikehubstore, etc...) that you can get for around $500-600. They'll do 98% of the job the Rovals would do.

A free Venge frameset in a flat area is tops IMO...
...Depending on your cycling background too (abilities, flexibility, age group, etc...)...

Louis :)