Brakes - 2012 Sram Red or EE?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dalex

by dalex

A bike I'm putting together comes with the new Sram Red brakes. I've tried these and personally I've found them pretty impressive. For those who have tried both brakes, would changing them for EE brakes give any real improvement? Obviously it saves a few grams, but not a massive amount.

bura

by bura

I never had ee brakes on my bikes and will not have.
Because for me it is also of importance to keep a component clean and working for a longer time.
I do think that the design of the ee brakes makes it hard to clean them in all working joints.
Further I don't like the ee design which looks like an early work of a freshman who had some good ideas but missed some of the better ones.
I know that a lot of people like industrial design in the ee way but I like a cleaner design which as said is also functional.
I would vote for the Sram Red here .
Knowing that Dura-Ace brakes top them all within my criteria.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

EE brakes are some of the best brakes out there. Modulation, power, setup, cable routing, etc. In my opinion, old Red brakes were kinda crappy, with poor lever feel. If you go with Red, at least adjust the pivots to free them up. They all come way too tight from the factory, partly contributing to the poor feel.
you don't plan on running wide rims in the near future, do you?

drchull

by drchull

I love the industrial look of the ee brakes. Have wanted a pair since they came out.
I just finished installing a pair on my new bike and they are also the easiest brakes to center that I have used. Unfortunatley won't be able to give much of a ride report as is snowing and icy. Damn this Canadian winter.
By all reports out there the best power and modulation of any boutique brake on par with the industry standard DA. Only thing they lack is traditional quick release that allows you to ride with it partly open if break a spoke or wheel goes way out of true.

eric

by eric

I have a set of EEs. They have better braking power and modulation than my tuned 7800 brakes did, especially since I got a set of the lighter return springs. They are truly one finger brakes even for multiple trips down very long technical descents. They're not that hard to clean. I use an old toothbrush. The QR that can't be opened while riding, and needing two hands to adjust the play, are the only drawback besides the price. I don't mind the looks. In real life they are small and unobtrusive.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have used both. EE brakes hands down. Power, modulation and ease of setup are excellent. Like the previous poster said I do not like the feel of the red brakes. I know you did not ask but I would put the new Shimano 9000 brakes close to the EE brakes in performance and feel only a lot heavier.

dalex

by dalex

mnmasotto wrote:I have used both. EE brakes hands down. Power, modulation and ease of setup are excellent. Like the previous poster said I do not like the feel of the red brakes. I know you did not ask but I would put the new Shimano 9000 brakes close to the EE brakes in performance and feel only a lot heavier.

Well the previous poster did not like the feel of the old Sram Red brakes, and I was asking about the new Sram Red brakes. Which Sram Red have you tested? I'm sure the new Shimano 9000 are excellent, just they will not be going on my bike...

dalex

by dalex

thisisatest wrote:you don't plan on running wide rims in the near future, do you?

Maybe. Why?

1415chris

by 1415chris

It shouldn't be a problem using wider rims with the new Red. From pad to pad 31mm.

dalex

by dalex

I agree, I tested the new Red with Zipp Firecrest 303s. That's why I wanted to know which way thisisatest was trying to lead.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Sorry, I misread the OP. I thought you were comparing to OLD Red. New Red is much improved, rim clearances and feel. I still like EE better, that's what I own, but the decision is not so clear for you anymore.

MarkThailand

by MarkThailand

I have both the 2012 Red brakes and the eeBrakes on HED C2 wide rims on two different bikes. I have ridden the 2012 Red brakes for over 3000 miles and generally liked them:
1) good brake feathering (Swissstops on aluminium rims)
2) powerful stopping,
3) great quick adjustment with the indented quick release tabs,
4) okay price.

I had the opportunity to build up another bike so I decided to give the eeBrakes a try and so far I have ridden about 500 miles on them and like them a lot, more than the 2012 Red brakes. But, they are also double the price.
1) much better brake feathering with a softer initial feel (also Swiss stops on aluminum rims)
2) equally powerful stopping - but does not lock up the wheels as quickly - better control
3) once the width is set, not adjustable like the 2012 SRAM Red brakes, but works for the 23mm wide HED C2 rims
4) double the price of the 2012 SRAM Red brakes, thus probably not as good a value as the 2012 SRAM Red brakes.

But, for my next build, I will be using the eeBrakes again.

Mark
2012 Lynskey R330 with SRAM Red Quarq
2013 Parlee Z1 with DA 9070
2013 Lynskey Helix OS II with SRAM Red

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

mnmasotto wrote:I have used both. EE brakes hands down. Power, modulation and ease of setup are excellent. Like the previous poster said I do not like the feel of the red brakes. I know you did not ask but I would put the new Shimano 9000 brakes close to the EE brakes in performance and feel only a lot heavier.

I would get the EE brakes over the 2012 Sram Red. Personally, I think Dura Ace 9000 is way better than anything out there on the market with regards to brake performance in terms of power and modulation, but of course, at a weight penalty.

motorthings

by motorthings

i have used sram red 2012, and 2013 and DA 7900, and EE, and EE are the best of the bunch in my opinion. the product works incredibly well, has great support from the designer and company, and i love the way they look.

some folks don't like how they look, but aside from that matter of personal taste, there is nothing to not like about them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com