Has anyone tried doval chainrings?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Just got their 34t smaller ring because osymetric don't produce them for 5 bolt cranks. Should be at least similar to q-rings I guess, though I haven't tried it out yet.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Been running them on two bikes since last summer (previously was on some Q rings & round rings). Initially, was quite impressed actually - one some high wattage intervals I definitely had the feeling that I'm able to push a lower cadence for longer - to a more complete exhaustion and quality work. Did not observe any higher wattage (using P2M's everywhere).

Slowly, these feelings have trickled away, though :D :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

^I've been running QRings for 2+yrs. I can't say they have improved anything performance wise. With that being said, I do like the feeling of no dead spot and once setup, a smooth pedal stroke. Also, as a pure sprinter, and when you get up out of the saddle and move forward, it will throw the setup out of whack, since most people set these up when sitting in the saddle doing normal pedaling. When your knee moves forward, it makes the maximum power later in the stroke. I like the late stroke/power setting, like 4. With QRings.

Anyway...for the money, I might give these a go, the extreme ones 16%, and see how the big ring feels compared to my regular QRing Aero. Small ring isn't really much different than any other elliptical ring out there...so at least I can get something out of it for cheap if the big one sucks.

Kind of afraid to touch my FD though. I've had not needed to touch my 9070 Di2 FD since I set it up originally. Jinx it all.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Interesting replies from everyone, thanks.

The initial kickstarter to this was a thread for the Absolute Balck ones, primarily to be used as an inner chainring to assist climbing. And as I'm heading to Italy & France for 2 weeks of the stuff, anything will help.

Seems to be that for most if its good seated, it doesn't 'feel' right when standing and vice versa.

And that fronmt shifting can be a pain to setup with both ovalised rings.

I'm still tempted to at least try the inner, but have a wheel to build, so that will soak up the $$ first.

Cheers

Michael B

Marin

by Marin

I would really love for them to come out with a simple, lightweight, non-mOCP (or whatever) affordable chainring design. There has to be a market for this...

Marin

by Marin

Just the opposite of what I'd buy :)

Jingeon

by Jingeon

I used doval(50-34)2 year ago
It's good to uphill especially

octav

by octav

octav wrote:I have just got myself some DOval Light chainrings with OCP adjustmens. Don't have an exact idea how to set them up, but I have just put them in the middle position and mounted them on the bike.

Any suggestions would be good :)

Used them for a year now and 6000+ km.
Maybe it's just a small mental advantage, but I feel a litle bit better after a long ride(fresher). No speed benefits though.
So now I keep them for their design :)

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Jingeon wrote:I used doval(50-34)2 year ago
It's good to uphill especially

What was the difference you noted ?

Any issues between standing/sitting ?

What % ovality did you get ?

Do you still use them ?

TIA

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

TheKaiser wrote:I just ordered some on ebay, for both road and MTB, 50t/36t and 32t semi-narrow/wide, all in the 16% (max) ovality option. For the price, they are worth a shot, and they are pretty versatile in the BCD so they could be re-purposed to another bike or sold without much issue. Their listings offer discounts for purchasing multiple items, however I am having a bit of a hassle getting them to send me a correctly updated invoice that includes the promised discounts. I don't think there is any mal-intent, just a little language barrier or poor communication perhaps.

I'll give an update once I receive them, although the shipping will be slow from South Korea to the USA, so it will be a little while.

Update: Worked out the shipping and discount thing. It is just not a super streamlined ordering process, so I had to pay the listing price and then the seller sent me back a sum amounting to the discounts that were due, so it requires a few emails back/forth with seller, but they were very agreeable. Just ordering a single pair of rings without any discounts shouldn't present any problem. There were several sellers of Doval on ebay but I used new_silkroad as they were offering the biggest multi-item discounts, and so far so good.

tmr5555

by tmr5555

Been running 52/36 16% 110BCD "Aero" Dovals for 2 months now, Ca 750 km's on mostly hilly terrain.
I set them on position 3.
IMO the greatest improvement is less fatigue on the knees especially.
Example: I have this thing when if I stop for a light and get caught in the big ring yet have to move out of the way, my knees would let me know their discomfort until I got them out of the dead spot of the stroke, also chronic left knee pain has all but vanished.
Other gains are difficult to quantify but depending on how they are set up they can improve out of saddle performance or seated performance alike. Lower cadence is where the biggest impact is felt.
Like mentioned above, you loose a little speed on out of saddle sprint efforts, but that's just how they're clocked.

I bought mine off the bay for 16 $ plus 10 $ shipping, worth a go for that price.

jever98

by jever98

Hi there,

does anybody have recent feedback on the more strongly ovalised Dovals - ie the ones that are close to QXL ovality? If anybody has done a side by side comparison - I'd be very curious!

Thanks
Jever
----
No longer in the industry

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I have Osymetric, qxl and also used a 34t doval for a climbing trip. Osymetric > doval > qxl. I don't think I can tell Osymetric and doval apart, but I can definitely feel a lesser positive effect from the qxl.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jever98

by jever98

Thanks! I had Osymetrics in the past and hated the setup and shifting, especially compared to QXL. Can you comment on the shifting of the Doval?
----
No longer in the industry

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

It was a climbing trip and I hardly left the doval ring once the event started. But the shifting up to my Osymetric was flawless. I learnt that to prevent over shifting on Osymetric, you should put the chain on the upper/larger half of the cassette before doing the front shift.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com