The TriRig Mercury Pedal - just 71 grams per pair.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I’ve been using the Mercury for one month now, and really like them for the simplicity and no-play. The only question mark is the possibility of unintentional disengagement if you’re a ‘wild’ sprinter pulling your feet out.

I can relate to mrlobber’s bad experience, because I’ve experienced them. I’m certain that squeaks and getting hot stem from misaligned engagement.
• If the cleat is forced over the end cap or the flange, the cleat gets out of shape and ‘expands’ outward so that the end(s) rub(s) the end cap and/or flange causing squeaks.
• If pedalling with the cleat over the endcap (whilst not properly engaged), the aluminium will get hot from the friction with the plastic cleat. I can see how mrlobber managed to unscrew the endcap with this process.

I really don’t think that you will stay locked in the event of a crash (no don't intend to try this :wink: ): the engagement is not that firm (even with the larger tubes/sleeves). A different method of disengaging (rather than the ‘standard’ twisting motion) is just something that needs getting used to, some taking longer than others to make it intuitive.

After years and years believing that float is good for everyone, I’m loving the feeling of being planted instead of aimlessly wandering around :D
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I'm giving these another shot. The first time I tried them I had issues w/ my feet. Since then I seem to have solved the foot issues w/ a few degrees of tilt on my right foot. I'll have to get some miles in on them but putting them on and getting them set they felt a whole lot better this time. Cautiously optimistic.
Speedplay is the devil!

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Another 3+ mths have gone by, I'm still enjoying my Mercury.

Still getting squeaks, but greasing the cleat outsides where they contact the pedal flanges makes my rides noise-free.

Got dirt in the cleats just the other day, scrapped off and good to go. I'll clean (and grease) before the next ride, plus the ensuing inspection I'm guessing will result in cleats still not requiring replacement.

Hope it goes well for you, mdeth.
Less is more.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Any more users out there? Are these even made anymore?