100kg rider, what bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

notsoswift

by notsoswift

OrPe wrote:
tymon_tm wrote:have you considered LOOK? ...their ride qualities... LOOK is the way to go :thumbup:

+1. look are excellent. your weight will not be a problem.

Oren

Yeah agree with both here, I am a big fan of the older LOOK - what was my old #1 bike, but is now the wet bike is a Look and I have been at the 100kg mark more than once, race closer to 85 but then I am 195/about 6'5"
Don't know about these newer Asian one's in this price range, but the Tunisian or French ones will do it well

thisisnotaspoon

by thisisnotaspoon

Have you considered custom steel? You can get downtubes and headtubes oversize to ~44mm, and get some nice tapered forks, 44mm will take a 1.5 external cup and 1.1/8 internal top cup, so no chance of any flex, it'll be comfortable (if you want it) and no one will have exactly the same bike.

Won't be light though unfortunately.

Hi, a friend of a friend has got into cycling and is on the lookout for a new bike. The guy is 15 stone, not fat just very well built. I believe his budget is £1500 ish. The purchase could be a frameset then source components or a complete stock bike.

Any advice? :noidea:

I'm that weight and similar build, and ride an old CAAD4, so I'd recommend a CAAD10.

The worst thing about being heavy is measuring your power output, it gives way too much false hope when you see an number on the screen that says you should be winning the TDF, if only you weighed less than Froome :(

Actualy, that's not a bad choice for the OP either, CAAD10, and shop around for a DA9000 groupset, Ritchey WCS finishing kit and some nice-ish wheels?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

michel2

by michel2

I way in at late 90 (95-100) depending on how much time of work/ on boke and got a 61 colnago ep. Verry hapy with it!

brettjon

by brettjon

I'm 119kg and 6'3 on a 2012 Felt F3 (sram red) and a Giant Defy Composite advanced 1 [(Ultegra) long winded model name] and have no problems with either.

I would be looking for bikes that you like, then worrying about weight characteristics and speaking with dealers at that stage`

Miller76

by Miller76

Hi brettjon - what wheels are you running?

brettjon

by brettjon

Miller76 wrote:Hi brettjon - what wheels are you running?

Stock Sram S27's on the Felt and factory Giant wheels. No excessive spoke counts. both bikes have over 5000km on them and the wheels haven't needed truing (spoke tensioning as normal when serviced) not have I had any spoke problems.