Tubeless carbon rims?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Praha19300

by Praha19300

Seen some Corima Hutchinson branded wheels a while back but does anybody know of any recent developers of a deep carbon rim which is tubeless compatible?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

I know lots of guys that are running any of the Reynolds Clinchers tubeless. Just be sure to use two layers of tape.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

Just convert them with Stan's rim tape and valve. If it is a wide rim (like the Zipp Firecrest) you will probably want to use the wider 25mm tape.

Here is a review where they do this conversion to a Zipp Firecrest:

http://nyvelocity.com/content/equipment ... -clinchers

Here are the conversion products:

http://www.notubes.com/Road-Tubeless-C78.aspx

Here is a good instructional video:

http://vimeo.com/34383932
Last edited by natiedean24 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

In reality, any clincher (alloy or carbon) can be setup tubeless. I just setup my old Edge rims (Enve) tubeless. I just used a layer of electrical tape with some Stans over the top.

edesigner

by edesigner

Have any of you guys heard about bumps or potholes burping a tire on the road? That's what scares me. The flat could be swift and painful if it lost all air in seconds. In cross or mtb you aren't traveling as near the speed.

system787

by system787

I find burping road wheels less of concern because the pressure is so much higher than, say, MTB tubeless. I've only had my first puncture on road tubeless not so long ago, and that was caused by a big staple piercing right through in two places.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Zen Cyclery wrote:In reality, any clincher (alloy or carbon) can be setup tubeless. I just setup my old Edge rims (Enve) tubeless. I just used a layer of electrical tape with some Stans over the top.

With what tires? Can you show us some pics?

edesigner

by edesigner

system787 wrote:I find burping road wheels less of concern because the pressure is so much higher than, say, MTB tubeless. I've only had my first puncture on road tubeless not so long ago, and that was caused by a big staple piercing right through in two places.

Did it flat on the ride or did you make it home? My concern is tubeless are very hard to put on my cross wheels (I imagine road tires will be harder) and I know the sealant many times fixes itself that is not always the case.

Thanks in advance.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

dereksmalls wrote:
Zen Cyclery wrote:In reality, any clincher (alloy or carbon) can be setup tubeless. I just setup my old Edge rims (Enve) tubeless. I just used a layer of electrical tape with some Stans over the top.

With what tires? Can you show us some pics?

I'm just running some Fusion there. Were you looking a picture of the finalized setup or the taped rim bed?

bonafide

by bonafide

Mind if I ask what tires you're using? Are they UST? I really would not worry about burping a road tire either as that sort of impact would likely have other consequences at speed as well.

system787 wrote:I find burping road wheels less of concern because the pressure is so much higher than, say, MTB tubeless. I've only had my first puncture on road tubeless not so long ago, and that was caused by a big staple piercing right through in two places.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Zen Cyclery wrote:I'm just running some Fusion there. Were you looking a picture of the finalized setup or the taped rim bed?

The rim bead

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

natiedean24

by natiedean24

edesigner wrote:Have any of you guys heard about bumps or potholes burping a tire on the road? That's what scares me. The flat could be swift and painful if it lost all air in seconds. In cross or mtb you aren't traveling as near the speed.

'Burping' is, I believe, a problem that happens almost exclusively to mountain bike tires and cross tires at very low pressures. For my application (Hutchinson tubeless tires on a converted road bike wheel), burping is not a concern whatsoever.

Yes it's because the pressure is higher than mountain bike tires. However, I have had some punctures on three separate occasions where they flat was sealed by the Stan's sealant, but not before a significant loss of pressure. In each instance, I simply kept riding and made it home fine. I could feel the tire being a bit squirrely, but nothing major and no bottoming-out on the rim.

When I got home from these flats, I have checked and seen that I was riding on 40 psi or even as little as 30 psi in one case. All of this is to say that in an emergency get-home scenario, I have run very low pressures for a short time and have had no 'burping'. It is nothing I would ever worry about.