Mating a Thomson X2 with Zipp SC SL bars?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

My training partner's a mechanic at a different shop and had this same issue:

When mating the Thomson X2 with the Zipp Service Course bars, the bars slip. I just put the stem on for the first time today, and they were fine until I hit a pothole. They were pre-tensioned to 5nm, but on the first pothole, they came loose. I rode to my buddy's house where the ride was starting from, had him tighten them (he's a wrench at my shop) and off we went. They were fine until I bunny-hopped a fallen branch.

Then they came loose again.

I asked my first friend, the one who had the same issue, what he did to get them not to slip. He told me, "Tighten the ever-loving black of night out of them." So I did. The faceplate screws are 3mm allens, so it's hard to tighten them past 7 or 8nm without the wrench slipping, but does anyone have any better solutions? I feel nervous that when I take her out tomorrow, the bars will slip again.

Thanks.
I only train on days that end with "y".

Eli

mgordon

by mgordon

I have had this problem on ALL my Thomson X2 stems - that's on 3 different bikes - all with different bars, all installed with carbon paste - ever since they switched to the 3mm bolts. They were tight enough so that the wrench twisted but the bars still slipped

I fixed the problem in all cases by stealing some 4mm bolts off older Thomson stems I had laying around. You can buy them: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping ... hp?id=7487 (they only have silver, black is available also).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

Brilliant! Thanks for the tip :)
I only train on days that end with "y".

Eli