Shimano E-Tube with a Mac

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

Anybody successfully used an SM-PCE1 with a Mac? I run VirtualBox on my Mac for WKO and downloaded the E Tube software but it won't recognize the SM-PCE1 so I can't update the Ultegra Di2. The computer recognizes the device when I check the port but it E Tube won't recognize it. Any help would be appreciated.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

try installing vmware fusion - there's a 30-day free trial so it won't cost anything - i've found this works well with usb devices

but some usb devices/windows drivers seem to go through a few connect/disconnect/connect cycles during device detection/initialiaztion, ones that do this can be a real pain to use with a virtual pc unless you can configure the usb port to be dedicated to the virtual machine rather than arbitrated/prompted for on each connection

asv

by asv

I would second the recommendation for VMWare Fusion. It works well with all USB devices, I use it everyday for my job. I wont be able to test the shimano di2 usb dongle with it till my bike arrives.

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check out VMWare Fusion. The odd thing is that I've never had a problem mounting the Garmin or a USB memory stick for uploading files in WKO and the if I check the drive while in the virtual machine it recognizes it but it's like it won't mount completely. May try to find a PC to hook it to to validate that it's not the dongle itself.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

Tried VMWare Fusion and it worked, thanks guys!!
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019

joeveloski

by joeveloski

I got the SM-PCE1 device to work with a Windows 7 guest running in Virtual Box running on Mac OS X Sierra host. At first it didn't work and that's how I found this thread.

After trying a few setup changes, I got it to work by:

1- Enabling USB 2.0 (you need the VB Extension Pack of the same version of VB).
2- Creating a filter entry in the USB settings to make sure the Windows guest always captures the PCE1.
3- 1 and 2 were not sufficient.
4- In the guest settings again, I then enabled COM1, COM2 and COM3 in the Serial Ports tab. That step made it work.

I assume it's because the SM-PCE1 uses a USB-to-Serial Port converter and manually enabling the COM ports seems to help the Windows guest to allow the e-Tube software to see it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aeo

by Aeo

Thanks, joe. Got it to work
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14