Hollowgram sl on super 6 evo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

logy

by logy

Hi mechanics out there. How many of the 0.5 mm spacers should I fit to load the bearings on a super 6 evo with spider rings and hollowgram sl? I don't want to fiddle around adding and taking these off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

you have to take them in and out. the shims are there to help adjust the preload on the bearings and make up any intolerences in the BB shell. If you cant be bothered doing it properly, take it to a bike shop, or just put a random amount in there and *f##k* your BB bearing.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Best way to do it requires the crank arm to be removed/reinstalled one time.
First, assemble everything as normal, with ZERO preload shims, but with the wavy washer. Make sure the crank bolt is tightened fully and properly. Then see how many preload shims you can easily slip into the wavy washer gap. Remove the one crank arm, install that many washers, reinstall crank arm. Done.
Beyond that, I completely agree with Tokyo Drifter.

ms6073

by ms6073

If the wave-spring washer is supposed to be slightly deformed with the proper amount of shims, using the method outlined, wouldn't the correct number of shims be n + 1?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

lechat

by lechat

Best to start with 1 or 2 and go from there. The cranks should rotate freely and have no noticeable lateral play. Add or subtract until you get the desirable results.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

ms6073 wrote:If the wave-spring washer is supposed to be slightly deformed with the proper amount of shims, using the method outlined, wouldn't the correct number of shims be n + 1?

It should be the maximum number of shims while the wavy washer still waves. This ensures that the side load on the bearings is only as hard as the wavy washer can push, but leaves almost no room for lateral loads to make the crank slide left-right on the spindle. So it's n, with n being the maximum number of shims you can slip into the space created by the wavy washer.
For clarity, when I say "space", I'm not talking about a circumferential gap, merely the valleys between the waves.
I hope I didn't make it seem more confusing than it is.