How to lighten Ultegra Di2 groupset ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

quiglet13

by quiglet13

Hi folks,

Looking to lighten up an Ultegra Di2 Group. This is on a race bike, hence based on recent experience it is highly probably that it will be crashed hard at least once during the season, hence Ultegra rather than Dura Ace Di2, hence I don't want to be putting anything too exotic on it.

Obviously need to retain shifters, derailleurs, wiring etc...

I am thinking Dura ace Cassette would be a good start, cranks /BB... surely lots of opportunity here, even the Sram Red exogram I have on another bike is a hell of a lot lighter than the Ultegra one. Brake Calipers are another area. Perhaps Zero G ? KCNC ? Or the Planet X CNC ones - although I didn't have much luck keeping the forged versions centered on a previous bike.

Any suggestions ? The key would be to not comprimise shift performance and I don't know how sensitive the Di2 is to cranks not as stiff as the Shimano ones.

Thanks.

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

I've been using the planet x CNC calipers and they are working very well indeed. A lot of flex if you really pull hard, but that's an unrealistic scenario anyway.

If this is a race bike, keep it stock. Crankset and brakes may be a good swap, but if the rings work 100% with the current setup, don't change. Racing is about reliability, not weight.
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cllrhodgen

by cllrhodgen

Another option as well is the new 9070 di2 is compatible with the ultegra di2 based on the new cable system, so whereas the 7970 wasn't, the 9070 is, so the actual di2 shifters, front/rear mechs can be integrated, providing you buy 10/11 speed obviously to suit.

There's a bit more weight shaved there if you've got the money? Soon though you'd have the dura ace di2 by upgrading parts.

Planet x brakes seem to flex well and become uncentered easily i found. What about the new sram red brakes, failing that, just go get some gravitas's and be done with it?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I would be careful messing with the brakes too much, in particular if your racing includes wet weather (which your "Ireland" location suggests).

Generally the drivetrain is probably not the most cost-effective place to shed weight. Crank can go some way, of course, SRAM 2013 with aftermarket rings is rather light and not outrageously expensive.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I installed DA7900 brakes and crankset with my Ultegra Di2 parts. That combined with a DA cassette or a Sram Red cassette will help with the weight. I went with DA cassettes since I feel they shift a bit better and I can use them on my CX bikes. Although the new Red cassettes look nice.

You could drop more weight by going to a lighter crankset, but you're not talking about a lot of savings unless you're willing to spend lots of money.... in which case you might not be looking at the Ultegra anyhow ;)

Omiar

by Omiar

cllrhodgen wrote:Another option as well is the new 9070 di2 is compatible with the ultegra di2 based on the new cable system, so whereas the 7970 wasn't, the 9070 is, so the actual di2 shifters, front/rear mechs can be integrated, providing you buy 10/11 speed obviously to suit.

There's a bit more weight shaved there if you've got the money? Soon though you'd have the dura ace di2 by upgrading parts.

Planet x brakes seem to flex well and become uncentered easily i found. What about the new sram red brakes, failing that, just go get some gravitas's and be done with it?

Given the price of 9070 shifters, I wouldn't swap them even if they weighted 0 grams. When you crash, you lose big time.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

With EEbrakes, you can have light weight and good stopping power, as well as the easiest pad changes known to man. And they don't go off-center. They're really just the best brakes ever.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Bolt tuning. http://fairwheelbikes.com/far-and-near-shimano-derailleur-tuning-kit-p-4258.html
Lighter jockey wheels.
Aftermarket battery.
BTP lever clamps.
Lighter hoods.

That's about all you can do to the derailleurs and shifters without resorting to drillium.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drhule23

by drhule23

I'm in agreement with BobbyOCR - reliability is key.
That said, maybe consider a lighter crankset. Otherwise I'd like at other upgrades, such as the wheels.
The more you suffer, the closer you get to transcendence.
It's not the mountain you're climbing, it's yourself. If you don't want to know, stay at the bottom.