BH Ultralight vs Wilier 0.7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wcl4

by Wcl4

I see a lot of weenie builds that start with the 0.7 as the base. I don't really see anyone starting with the BH Ultralight. They both seem to be similar in weight, but the Wilier is $1200 more. Any particular reason Wilier seems to be the frame of choice?

wingguy

by wingguy

I can't say why I chose a Zero.7 over a BH because I've never looked at the BH, but I can tell you why I'm happy I chose it over everything else. In no particular order:

Bling. It's Italian, it looks sexy, it's rare... It makes me happy when I look at it. That's important.
Performance. The BB/chainstay area is as good as the the reviews say it is. Acceleration and uphill attacks are awesome.
Ride quality. It's comfortable but not muted, it's aggressive but not harsh. By comparison a Cervelo seems boring and a C59 seems boneshaking.
Handling. It's an Italian bike. It descends brilliantly. It's just fun to ride.

At the end of the day as far as your question goes though - I chose it because I wanted an Italian frame and the Zero.7 was the only true Italian lightweight available, and a few colleagues already raved about the quality of the Cento1 and Wilier in general. Now that I've got it I'm glad I did, because I have trouble imagining a better bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tobyinsydney
in the industry

by tobyinsydney

RIDE has reviewed both these bikes in our last two issues...

Preview the review of the Wilier here
http://www.zinio.com/pages/RIDECyclingR ... 399/pg-224

And the BH here
http://www.zinio.com/pages/RIDECyclingR ... 559/pg-220

Both great bikes and surprisingly similar... BH have really stepped it up with the Ultralight and the G6 was for my money the best looking new frame at Eurobike.

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Thanks for the articles Toby. Can't tell if the writer prefers his BH or if he likes the Wilier better. Prefer the meatier and straight fork of the BH, but the graphics of the Wilier are sexier.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

the zero.7 in my opinion is a better bike by far. Ive built a few of the Ultralight's at my shop that people have brought in. The chain line was off on one of them and caused some shifting problems. Also the zero.7 is a bit lighter. My frame came in at 839 grams in the XL size with the seat collar, barrel adjusters, and rd hanger. the md. ultralight I built came in at 849..... thats a huge difference. I also like the process that Wilier uses to infuse a film into the carbon to give the frame a smoother ride with out using heavier intermediate modulus carbon. Ive owned a lot of high end bikes ( dogma 2, colnago m10 recently) and the wilier simply blows them away...Here is a link to my build.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=106530" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

First time I actually looked at the BH G6. Man it looks nice.

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Kevosinn, how do you compare Wilier with D2? Obviously D2 is heavier and feels a bit sluggish, but i like ride quality of that bike. Reminds me of heavier european sports cars vs look 695 which feels more like lightweight type car.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Saw a Zero7 on this morning's ride, I was surprised at how good it looks in person.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

in my opinion the wilier is on another level than the dogma. I feel that its just as stiff as the dogma but the ride quality is soooo much better on the wilier not to mention 400 grams of weight difference.... also I feel that the wilier corners better.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Anyone know what fork this is?
http://www.bicycling.com/tour-de-france ... lier-zero7

The fact that pros use a different fork concerns me.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

it looks like the stock fork to me?

kgt

by kgt

No it's not. Scarponi used a different fork. It had to do with geometry maybe?

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Here too:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-l0oAu3dcW-w/T ... wilier.jpg

it looks beefier and it's a straight fork unlike the stock one that comes with the frame.

Wcl4

by Wcl4

I wonder if Scarponi's fork is from the Cento 1 SR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Given he's the team leader, if he wants the bike to handle a little differently then the team will give it to him. No?

Also, that pic looks like it was from much earlier in the season. There's every chance he was testing out a different rake on the fork for them to see if it improved the bike.

Golden rule really is 'just because the Pro's do it doesn't mean we should'.