Selle Italia SLK - any experiences?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bergziege

by Bergziege

hi @ all

what are your experiences with all three versions (normal, gel flow, kit carbonio) of the selle italia slk?

i cannot find a fitting saddle...so everything you say will help

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

No experience with the SLK but I have tried the SLR. I found that although it is relatively light, the SLR was a little to un-forgiving on many of the roads I ride/race on so I oped for the SLR Genuine Gel for a little more comfort.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I ride the SLK gel.

It is a great saddle if you really want to be resting on just your "sit bones". Because the saddle is flat from side to side with a center groove there is no material to protrude up into you crotch. This is good because is protects some key areas of the body but has a downside in that it concentrates pressure on the sit bones. The gel version seems to have very effective padding considering there is so little. This helps the sit bones situation. Also the saddle has a fair bit of flex which helps on imperfect surfaces and small bumps.

Another nice characteris is the longitudinal flatness that allows the rider to move back and forth into a variety of position on the bike. Something you couldn't do on a Fizik Alliante for example which is more curved.

No idea what it weighs but it is not super light, not a tank either.

lord_brush

by lord_brush

I really like them. Raced on one for a couple of seasons now, & never give the saddle a 2nd thought (ie no dis-comfort). I have the normal version, & considering the padding is minimal, it's way comfier than any other gel/padded saddle I've tried. I think they're around 190g, which is light enuff in my book! :D

rico

by rico

Spookily enugh I tried a standard SLK on the turbo for a couple of hours last night. I've had real problems finding a good saddle for the turbo and have had quite worrying 'numbness issues' with a whole range of other saddles, including the SLR (which is my normal road saddle), Flites, a Concor Lite and an Arione.

The SLK was the best ever - no numbness and after a while I just forgot all about what I was sitting on - probably the sign of a good saddle.

It seems to flex in the middle really effectively, although there is a small design flaw in that the centre 'gap' actually gets much smaller when you put the saddle on, because the rails are pinched together.

rico