Bike Cases

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Liggero

by Liggero

In my experience, If they notice that it's a bike, or the size of a bike, or just the box of a frame, you will have to pay the extra for transporting bikes. At least in cheap flight airlines, that is how I fly. But, the cost is fair, about 40-50€, and they allow between 30-40Kg. What I do is include lot of clothes and stuff. Sometimes I pay just for the bike, not luggage, so I include clothes with the bike, so i save money and I can carry lot of weight. I always use a cardboard box of FRAME, for travelling with my bike. It's quite strong if you pack it properly. Only issue is the lack of wheels, but next time i will create a wooden deck with industrial wheels to attach to the cardboard box. No issues so far.
Happy Trails !!!

dmp

by dmp

It looks like this thread came back from the dead- 1st new reply in 7 years!! But actually its probably not a bad idea- there's new stuff on the market since then.

For what it's worth, I would highly recommend the Pika Packworks case- densely padded soft case, doesn't look especially like a bike case (nothing on the outside labels that says "bike" either), highly protective, yet light and easy to store at your destination. I brought my bike from Denver to Israel this fall (that includes one transfer, always a place for disaster to occur) and except for losing the bike for 3 days on the way over (don't even ask!) it was great, especially since I avoided the extra charge in both directions- that alone more than paid for the case!

You only need to take the pedals, wheels, stem, and seat post/saddle off. There is a place to secure everything. It's light enough to sling the whole business over your shoulder with the shoulder strap. Case itself only weighs about 12 lbs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com