FSA K Force Light Wilier BB386Evo vs Campy Super Record Crnk

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Berlingtonberty

by Berlingtonberty

New member hoping to get some views/opinions.

I'm in the process of buying a 2013 Wilier Zero.7 specd with Super Record EPS (and yes before anyone asks I did have a lottery win :D )

Reading through the spec sheets I see Wilier dont use the SR Crank but plump for the FSA K Force Light Wilier BB386EVO Crank instead, reading the blurb this seems like it has been developed jointly and sounds like its optimised for the bike - but that could mean we just wanna increase our margin on an already expensive bike by dropping in a few cheaper components.

I've no experience of FSA Cranks and having had a cento1 speccd with full SR I'm loath to change but can't help wondering if they are any good.

So the Question is whether I insist on the SR crank that i know and love or stick with the FSA that Wilier supply with the bike.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

B

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Haven't tried the FSA cranks but in terms of price, the SR11 crankset is a few hundred $ more than the top model FSA.

ghostrider1tm

by ghostrider1tm

My experience with the fsa k force light cranks has been very negative. I've broken many teeth on the big ring and even bent the big ring. This was done not by hitting anything but just regular riding. I do big ring most climbs but my power numbers aren't as high as most pro's and was still destroyed three sets of their rings. Team had a sponsorship deal only reason i kept riding them. I now ride only campy cranks simply because i think they have the best rings, both strength and shifting...just my experience.

Berlingtonberty

by Berlingtonberty

Thanks for the responses.

I've seen some pretty negative reviews of the FSA cranbuts once posting but they were quite old so wasn't sure if this was still a factor or whether they've tightened up on their QA.

Also read some great reviews on the power transfer on the Zero.7 when it was launched that made me think the FSA Chainset was good until I read further down the articles and realised the test bikes Wilier had provided had had the FSA set swapped out for Super Record 11.

B

wingguy

by wingguy

Berlingtonberty wrote:Reading through the spec sheets I see Wilier dont use the SR Crank but plump for the FSA K Force Light Wilier BB386EVO Crank instead, reading the blurb this seems like it has been developed jointly and sounds like its optimised for the bike - but that could mean we just wanna increase our margin on an already expensive bike by dropping in a few cheaper components.

Wilier co-developed the 386Evo standard with FSA hence why it's on the bike - according to Wilier they originally approached Campag with the concept but Campag couldn't guarantee enough resources top develop it on schedule.

The blurb from the Wilier dealer days/2013 product launch a couple months back did say that Campag is now developing a 386Evo crank, but I haven't seen anything about it from Campag, or any dates. So if you want to go full Campag you ciould either just get the standard SR crank now and run it with adaptors (still gives ridiculous BB stiffness) or maybe choose the FSA 386Evo crank now and wait for the Campag SR 386Evo - which should theoretically give you the best performance from day 1 and be slightly cheaper than buying two SR cranks in one year.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I've not been a big fan of FSA cranks over the years. But, I installed a SLK Light 386 EVO crank on my CX bike this year and it has been good. It was quite light (540g, no BB) and is adequately stiff.

I would still rather have Campy crank on a SR bike though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com