another dead Etap Rear Mech

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ganski

by ganski

Hey gang, I got an A2 non axs red etap rear mech and when I went to go shift this moring I got no response. Hit the button and nothing, changed battery nothing. Wierd thing is if I reinstall the battery while holding the button down it flashes, orange? for about 30 seconds and then more nothing. Real POS if you ask me. anyone got a solution, I reached out Sram and working on warranty with LBS, but seems so lame to be wasteful and add this thing to the landfill.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

ganski wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:32 am
... seems so lame to be wasteful and add this thing to the landfill.
It's the SRAM/Wahoo/Garmin way!

BigDog

by BigDog

Might sound silly, but have your batteries in your shifters run out of juice? Try replacing them as a means of isolating the rear mech

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Just throw it in the ocean for the next portion of the SRAM product cycle.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

ganski

by ganski

BigDog wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:26 pm
Might sound silly, but have your batteries in your shifters run out of juice? Try replacing them as a means of isolating the rear mech
Shifters produce a green light when the button is depressed and the front derailleur works fine

burritoh

by burritoh

Have you checked this already?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=153126

It's happened to me a couple times over the last few years, but the culprit has usually been dirt and grime.
Mine has come back fine after trying any of the following.
- clean battery and derailleur contacts with contact cleaner or alcohol, change battery and bind again
- clean with electronics cleaner (like CRC), then lube ALL pivots with silicone spray lube
As mentioned in the above thread, overall the electronics are pretty robust, but when the pivots get sticky due to dirt/grime, it goes into limp mode.
If a simple clean doesn't do the trick, you might need to disassemble.

ganski

by ganski

burritoh wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 pm
Have you checked this already?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=153126

It's happened to me a couple times over the last few years, but the culprit has usually been dirt and grime.
Mine has come back fine after trying any of the following.
I cleaned the battery terminals with CRC and lubed the pivots, this thing is only 6 months old and very clean. If I put the battery in while holding the button down it flashes then turns off. No other way to get it to light up. It's the A2 version.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Failure happens. Sometimes sooner and sometimes not. My 11 speed eTap has been working flawless for over 3 years. Do I love it? Yes.
Last edited by Juanmoretime on Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kervelo

by kervelo

The topic name is "another dead mech". @ganski: have you had dead Etap rear mechs before? Just curious to know if this is common.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kervelo wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:47 am
The topic name is "another dead mech". @ganski: have you had dead Etap rear mechs before? Just curious to know if this is common.

I have had one RD fail to go to sleep, resulting in excessive battery drain. What the OP is describing with the flashing orange LED seems quite rare.

I've had a shifter completely die after a fall on the bike. The exterior of the shifter had no aesthetic damage, that's how soft the bump was.

Both replaced without issue via warranty.

ganski

by ganski

kervelo wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:47 am
Reading around it seems pretty common, the shop I brought it to for warranty was also warrantying an AXS rear derailleur the same day.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

There’s two common failure modes for eTap RDs and neither are what happened to yours AFAIK. One is a failure to enter sleep, which is usually related to water damage. Another is the motor canceling a shift for unknown reasons.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Mine fails to sleep, has less than 1k miles, and has never seen rain. Its on a seldom used steel bike.Sucks. I just pull the batteries.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record