HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:13 am 

I have recently started time trialing. Bike is set up well with a comfortable position, which is fast but an issue I have, particularly on bumpy courses is sliding off the front of my saddle, which then means I have to interrupt my cadence and push myself back up. My saddle is level, and my humerus is perpendicular to the ground - so i'm not too stretched out.

The pros obviously have used sandpaper bonded/stitched to the saddle in order to generate grip and prevent this. As i don't have a sponsor buying my skinsuits I am wondering if there is a more lycra friendly product I could try.

Today I tried a few adhesive foam rubber stoppers (like you would put underneath chairlegs to stop squeaking) and they worked perfectly - for have a TT, when they became dislodged and I started sliding forward again.

Saddle is a specialized sitero btw.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:52 am 

Can you go to a saddle with a longer nose without running afoul of setback rules? Sitero is very short nosed so doesn't allow a lot of leeway for moving.
Fractionally tilting the nose up works on some saddles for some riders - locks the hips in place without discomfort. But is terribly uncomfortable for others.
Are the arm pads under your elbows?

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:52 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:01 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:48 am 
Administrator

Fizik extra grip saddle covers might be something for you:
http://www.velofred.com/fizik-extra-gri ... p-693.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:52 am 

If you find the Bontrager Hilo XXX saddle comfortable it has little gripper dots for this exact purpose. Works as it should so much so that if you want to reposition yourself you have to stand up, move and then sit back down. I personally find it really comfortable and I've been using one for a while now.

I believe some of the Prologo TT saddles have stuff to stop you sliding around as well but I've never used one so I can't comment on how well they work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:18 pm 

Thanks for responses.

@cyclenutz - can't use a longer saddle - already at the limits of UCI legal position. Tried tilting saddle - had much discomfort. Elbows are behind pads.
@ frankie - have seen those, but a lot of people have said the cover just slides on the saddle, and i think they are designed to specifically fit fizik saddle shapes.
@Opsi - will look into the hilo, i have tried a prologo TT saddle, and felt like i was sitting on my urethra.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:56 pm 
in the industry

NiFTY wrote:
I have recently started time trialing. Bike is set up well with a comfortable position, which is fast but an issue I have, particularly on bumpy courses is sliding off the front of my saddle, which then means I have to interrupt my cadence and push myself back up. My saddle is level, and my humerus is perpendicular to the ground - so i'm not too stretched out.

Sliding forward is caused by engaging your glute and hamstring muscles the same way you would on a climb. Since you are bent over so far, and forward relative to the BB, this tends to force you forward.

There is no great solution. Grippers on the saddle will distort your chamois and feel like shit. Moving the saddle back and tilting it up slightly would help, but might cause other issues. Pushing back with your arms is another option. And finally, engaging your leg muscles like a triathlete.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:14 pm 

NiFTY wrote:
and my humerus is perpendicular to the ground - so i'm not too stretched out.

If your upper arm is totally vertical you may even be too compact, and there's nothing but muscle tension stopping your shoulders from falling further forwards. Having your elbows slightly forwards of your shoulders would brace you in position a little more, and *might* feel more relaxed through the torso as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:57 pm 

OP: I went in the opposite direction as some of the comments (longer saddle/saddle back etc). I switched to a Fizik Tritone - with no nose. Basically now I'm just right on the edge. This prevents me from sliding back, as well as still letting me rest my weight on it. Once I'm on the saddle nose - I'm on it. No moving. Works well. The scooped out channel in the saddle also works well so it doesn't feel like you are sitting on the sensitive part underneath.

Just a suggestion although I know trying out saddles is costly and time intensive...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:19 pm 

Sitero and Tritone have roughly the same nose length
Hilo is ~40mm longer in the nose (not far off the Prologo) so will slacken STA to stay in the rules.

I'd look at getting the pads under your elbows a bit more in an effort to help you relax into the bars more. Often helps relax the pelvis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:21 am 

NiFTY wrote:
@cyclenutz - can't use a longer saddle - already at the limits of UCI legal position. Tried tilting saddle - had much discomfort. Elbows are behind pads.

Also just to clarify, which UCI legal position?

Not everyone realises that unless you're pretty tall you can have the saddle in line with the BB now.

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:21 am