HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Show me Your Tuning!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:17 pm 

Love this thread, keep on tuning. Wait till I get a mancave and I can do some serious dremmelling!! :thumbup:

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:17 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:29 pm 

CBJ wrote:
Is in necessary to have any sort of coating on the raw carbon to protect it?

I have read several options in other threads:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=105513&p=902710&hilit=303+Aerospace+Protectant#p902710" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=104529&hilit=303+Aerospace+Protectant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83500&p=824573&hilit=303+Aerospace+Protectant#p824573" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92322&hilit=303+Aerospace+Protectant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. Some have not applied anything - but they have been criticised saying the carbon may go yellowish from UV damage - but i never found any proof of this.

2. Most commonly - most have used 303 Aerospace Protectant spray - I have used this and it seems to apply a protective anti-static/dust layer like you would do for the inside of your car dash.

3. Re-apply another clear coat gloss or matt (obviously much thinner than the original - Say 3 layers). But this may mean some oven baking (curing) is required for certain types of clear coat.

4. Others suggest clear car wax - i would think this (along with the 303 spray) is one of the better options but requires you to reapply regularly, like every time you clear your bike.

Would also like to hear other opinions too as i now have a load of raw carbon components ready to be installed!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:26 am 

lo5707 wrote:
weeracerweenie,

I actually meant the barrels on your home made Aerolite pedals - did you drill those holes out - Standard drill bits?

But yes, those barrel adjusters are amazing - You need to stockpile those and start shipping!!!

Thank you thank you, ahh the pedals, yes standard drill bit, in a drill press. Might go larger diameter next time.

@CBJ, my levers and the carbon components I've built haven't even coated them with anything. My levers haven't shown a sign of going yellow yet. If it does I'll redo it and apply a wax protectant. Even when I stripped my frame I only got the local paint shop to apply 2 ultra thin coats to the frame. Still no signs of epoxy break down. For now I don't coat components, but frame and fork I do.

@kingkongsfinger thank you +1 appreciation. I basically live in my man cave... :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:40 am 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

Quote:
1. Some have not applied anything - but they have been criticised saying the carbon may go yellowish from UV damage - but i never found any proof of this.

That would be the clearcoat if it doesn't come with a UV filter, not the carbon fibre comp though.
Bare CF when exposed to UV rays for a long time will make the epoxy turn "chalky" and brittle exposing bare carbon fibre when it chips of.

Quote:
Would also like to hear other opinions too as i now have a load of raw carbon components ready to be installed

The main problem with using CF components without clearcoat is that you don't know whether or not these have been manufactured with UV resistant epoxy or not.
It's not that the effect will be noticeable quickly either, it may take years of regular exposure to UV rays to make it obvious.

Personally I'd stick with this:

Quote:
4. Others suggest clear car wax - i would think this (along with the 303 spray) is one of the better options but requires you to reapply regularly, like every time you clear your bike.

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:13 am 

Attachment:
DSCF4084.jpg
DSCF4084.jpg [ 128.11 KiB | Viewed 711 times ]
lechat wrote:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/download/file.php?id=50667&mode=view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a Force RD I trimmed down to 143gms. I won a Red one on eBay last night for $25 shipped. A victim of a maladjusted set screw. The cages and inner link are toast but everything else looks good. With the Ti springs and alloy pins, should be able to pare a good bit of weight.
The pulleys w/ceramic bearings are still good so I'll probably re-eBay them. Should fetch $20 easily to offset my expenses.

Damaged Red RD arrived today. (Shipped Sat. USPS 1st class from CA. Gotta love that.) Very pleased. All's good save the cages, 1 pin and the inner link. Dremel fingers itching.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:27 am 

Attachment:
DSCF4083.jpg
DSCF4083.jpg [ 137.04 KiB | Viewed 704 times ]
Attachment:
DSCF4077.jpg
DSCF4077.jpg [ 99.98 KiB | Viewed 704 times ]
Here's a Tektro r538 caliper I started a while back. In limbo for a while. Originally ~ 160gms. Should come in at around 100 with shoes/pads and pinch bolt.

Attachments:
DSCF4076.jpg
DSCF4076.jpg [ 155.46 KiB | Viewed 704 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:48 am 

[/quote]
Damaged Red RD arrived today. (Shipped Sat. USPS 1st class from CA. Gotta love that.) Very pleased. All's good save the cages, 1 pin and the inner link. Dremel fingers itching.[/quote]

Run a drill through it :wink:

Your a brave man tuning a brake calliper...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:26 am 

That's why you got 2 of'em :wink:
Anyway, you gotta go where the weight is. Total war! Tora Tora Tora!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:00 am 

Not sure what to do about the black box pulleys. They're lighter than I expected. 11gms/ea. The alloy ones on the donor Force RD are 9. After scouting eBay, I could unload them for what I paid for the entire RD. Or I could reBay them and put that $ towards a set of $130 ABI zer0 delrin ones I saw on the bay. 8.7gms/pr! But that goes against the whole budget build thing...
I'm tellin' you! The life of a Weenie isn't all fun and games!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:34 am 

lechat, I really like your brake caliper. Well done!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:18 am 

Thanks. I have no doubt it will work well. I removed stock with retaining rigidity in mind. And the pivots are tight. That's were a lot of "flex" comes from. The translucent red finish looks better in person, the alloy shines thru'. Was going to paint the adjusting bolt, but will probably just polish it to match the QR.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:38 am 

lechat wrote:
Here's a Tektro r538 caliper I started a while back. In limbo for a while. Originally ~ 160gms. Should come in at around 100 with shoes/pads and pinch bolt.

So what have you tuned on it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:41 am 

lechat wrote:
That's why you got 2 of'em :wink:

Hahahahaha true. I've often thought about tuning my KCNCs but they are flexible enough as it is.... So that's a no for now.

How about drilling your black box pulleys a little. They shift so damn good I took my light ones off to put them back on...

@dereksmalls I take it the large gap through the front arm isn't standard :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:51 pm 

lechat wrote:
Not sure what to do about the black box pulleys. They're lighter than I expected. 11gms/ea. The alloy ones on the donor Force RD are 9. After scouting eBay, I could unload them for what I paid for the entire RD. Or I could reBay them and put that $ towards a set of $130 ABI zer0 delrin ones I saw on the bay. 8.7gms/pr! But that goes against the whole budget build thing...
I'm tellin' you! The life of a Weenie isn't all fun and games!

I've been using the rothshek cf pulleys available on ebay for the past 5 years or so. I think I'm on my 2nd set. At 9-11g for the pair, they're hard to beat for 35-45 usd.

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:51 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:24 pm 

Attachment:
DSCF4016.jpg
DSCF4016.jpg [ 90.08 KiB | Viewed 627 times ]
dereksmalls wrote:
lechat wrote:

So what have you tuned on it?

The usual. Material removal. Lighter hardware, mainly a Ti pivot bolt.

Attachments:
DSCF4012.jpg
DSCF4012.jpg [ 105.04 KiB | Viewed 627 times ]

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 23  Next