Show me Your Tuning!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kman

by kman

I did the same a few years ago, probably the easiest DIY part you can make. :)

Instead of the Ti bolt, use the steel bolt while you adjust the headset, then just get a nylon bolt once its all adjusted and tight - the nylon bolt just holds the cap on for cosmetic reasons.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

ihs0yz

by ihs0yz

Guys I've actually got parts to tune my seatpost up like the one in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=112588

Anyone knows if this is a good idea or not? I've tried emailing the OP on how it held up, no luck :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

ihs0yz wrote:Guys I've actually got parts to tune my seatpost up like the one in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=112588

Anyone knows if this is a good idea or not? I've tried emailing the OP on how it held up, no luck :(

If you are working on a non-aero seatpost, I would just buy a carbon tube and start from there...I've done it, got my tube here: http://www.rockwestcomposites.com

Payed something like $25 for a 12'' tube!

Mine is holding up perfectly after year and 1/2 of use so far (on a MTB!!!)
you can see the post on this page:http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109794&start=285

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

3d printed cassette section for testing! Stainless steel!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deek

by deek

That is super cool, but probably one of the worst $/g savings.

Actually, how much weight does it even save? The tube in XX/Red cassettes is already pretty light aluminum

Marin

by Marin

The cassette part is totally awesome!!! Please more details!

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Design improvements for now guys...more than be tied to weight saving, the question to ask here is how impactful 3D printing can be. But to give you an idea in advance, my current design is at 327g for the full cassette 11-41T. Crossing my fingers to be a strong design!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KLabs

by KLabs

andreszucs wrote:Design improvements for now guys...more than be tied to weight saving, the question to ask here is how impactful 3D printing can be. But to give you an idea in advance, my current design is at 327g for the full cassette 11-41T. Crossing my fingers to be a strong design!

Done in 3D printing using SS, looks great, and 327g for 11spd? 11-41T cassette... excellent, super excellent.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

KLabs wrote:
andreszucs wrote:Design improvements for now guys...more than be tied to weight saving, the question to ask here is how impactful 3D printing can be. But to give you an idea in advance, my current design is at 327g for the full cassette 11-41T. Crossing my fingers to be a strong design!

Done in 3D printing using SS, looks great, and 327g for 11spd? 11-41T cassette... excellent, super excellent.

10sp. Printed in one single piece.

KLabs

by KLabs

3D printing is excellent...

Glass Half Full scenario... fast improvements and innovation :)

Glass Half Empty scenario... fast copying and stealing :(

Glass Half Full sounds good to me and alot of fun :)
Last edited by KLabs on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KLabs

by KLabs

andreszucs wrote:
KLabs wrote:

Are you going to add shaping and ramping to the teeth design :)

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

KLabs wrote:
andreszucs wrote:
KLabs wrote:

Are you going to add shaping and ramping to the teeth design :)

Still a long way to go...improving slowly on my spare time.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

KLabs wrote:3D printing is excellent...

Glass Half Full scenario... fast improvements and innovation :)

Glass Half Empty scenario... fast copying and stealing :(

Glass Half Full sounds good to me and alot of fun :)

Many different ways to see 3d printing...I agree. All I know is that is empowering anyone with some CAD skills to get their hands onto their wishes....like me :beerchug:
Last edited by andreszucs on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

You genius!!! Loved the zip tie tunning! Will do the same to my all cradle to spare my carbon rails!!!

:beerchug:

weeracerweenie wrote:
odin99 wrote:
weeracerweenie wrote:

1. anyone have issues with homemade cradles like this creaking? solutions?
2. has anyone had one of these fail?

If it's creaking it means there's a point which is flexing or moving, causing the creak. Mine never made a sound thankfully....

I did snap one, it was 15 minutes prior to race start on a fairly important one too. My now boss and I rigged it with 2 cable ties and a chain tool. Made it through the race somehow... It broke because it was a new one I hadn't tested and was built in a hurry for the race to lower my saddle height...

If it looks stupid but works, it ain't stupid. This was however, very stupid

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Hahahaha, totally misunderstood what you did, yet you gave me a that good idea. Wrap two zip ties on a all cradle along the length of where the rail sits, protect your carbon, wait for smud cradle to arrive! Happy days!