Show me Your Tuning!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Wait for your super record them worry about your bolts 1spd.

Kai-Ming, looks like your rack is made from meccano... :wink:
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1spd

by 1spd

I hear you. I tore the RD apart last night to clean/weigh it. I was pretty surprised at the weight of all the little bolts over all.

22g jockey wheels (11g ea)
4g cable adjuster bolt w/ spring
10g aluminum rear cage plate
3g jockey wheel bolts
4g pinch bolt with washer plate

188g complete

So when compared to the new SR, the bulk of the weight is in the body itself. That being said, I agree, it isn't worth it to just swap out the little stuff. I am simply going to just go for an SR RD and then worry about the little crap. For now, I have my eye on about 6 different auctions for some 10 spd shifters to replace my Centaur's. They are 30g lighter and all the world over more functional. Was supposed to get a set from the guy I bought the bike from but it has now been 6 months and I am tired of chasing after him for them (was supposed to just swap them out for me). Then I'll go back to worrying about the RD.

As a side note, Fiber Lyte jockey wheels are 8g for the pair so you are looking at at 14g wt savings
Fiber Lyte rear cage is 8g so we were talking about a 2g savings
Might be able to shave 1-2g w/ aluminum pinch bolt/washer and maybe another 2g w/ a Delrin cable adjuster.

The limit screws didn't even register on my scale when I put one of them on there. When I put both on there with the springs it was at like 1.1g.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Get the 2 gram Fiberlyte cage

theremery

by theremery

Yep, those lite fibrelyte cages are very very good. Stephen (at fibrelyte) is a good carbon engineer and usually quite conservative. If he made it....it WILL work!
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

You could get rid of the barrel adjuster altogether. Is it really required?

1spd

by 1spd

^^ Good point, thought about that yesterday actually when I was playing with my new scale (Park DS-1). I have a new Ashima cable set and am waiting for the brake set to show up before I install. At the same time, I am also watching a couple of auctions for levers so I really don't want to tear the front end down until I know I have everything.

I may need to have something there however as I beleive the cable stops that are in place are threaded tubes if you will so there really wouldn't be something to support the cable. No worries, another plan is in the works to put something there and remove the stock adjusters.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

i found on my bike, that a barrel adjuster at the derailleur would hold a tune longer than on the down tube. I spent weeks thinking about it as i was searching for single grams to drop. So i built my own 1 gram barrel adjuster and tried it at the down tube first. It only really worked if i was desperate to get gears shifting mid race. So i moved it to the rear derailleur and found the tune stayed perfect, longer. It was also easier to tune. I think it has something to do with the amount of cable being tensioned by the barrel adjuster...? :noidea:

@1spd, your barrel adjusters are about to be built :wink: i run a 2.2gram fibre lyte plate and have ZERO issues with it. wouldn't hesitate in going lighter again they are easily strong enough. Hats off to Stephen, he is a wizard of the Fibre.

jano

by jano

weeracerweenie wrote:i found on my bike, that a barrel adjuster at the derailleur would hold a tune longer than on the down tube. I spent weeks thinking about it as i was searching for single grams to drop. So i built my own 1 gram barrel adjuster and tried it at the down tube first. It only really worked if i was desperate to get gears shifting mid race. So i moved it to the rear derailleur and found the tune stayed perfect, longer. It was also easier to tune. I think it has something to do with the amount of cable being tensioned by the barrel adjuster...? :noidea:

Logically the tension will be the same through the whole cable.
Thanks for the tip though :thumbup: , I will try this on my bike.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

I thought it would have been too but it didn't seem like that? No problem jano

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Tuned RD-6600 Was 207g but with a set of alloy bolt from Toronoto Cycles it is now 192g. Next carbon pulleys and a carbon cage all from fibrelyte. It should be below 180g by the time it done. I know I could drill/dremel out material but I really don't have the time.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Nice little saving there! I like the purple!

jano

by jano

Not actual tuning however it might be good info for others, so for what it's worth I shortened the steerer tube on my Easton EC90 SL fork and 81 mm of tube are weighing 33 grams, or 0.41 gr/mm.
This fork is the 2012 version with ITT.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Nine was similar too, I think the 40mm I took off was 14 grams on an Addict Fork. That is actually helpful, thanks Jano

oysters

by oysters

jano wrote:
weeracerweenie wrote:i found on my bike, that a barrel adjuster at the derailleur would hold a tune longer than on the down tube. I spent weeks thinking about it as i was searching for single grams to drop. So i built my own 1 gram barrel adjuster and tried it at the down tube first. It only really worked if i was desperate to get gears shifting mid race. So i moved it to the rear derailleur and found the tune stayed perfect, longer. It was also easier to tune. I think it has something to do with the amount of cable being tensioned by the barrel adjuster...? :noidea:

Logically the tension will be the same through the whole cable.
Thanks for the tip though :thumbup: , I will try this on my bike.

It may also have something to do with the springs and design of the tensioner on the downtube. They often aren't as good as the ones that come with rear derailleurs. Also, and this probably has more to do with it, the housing piece that goes into the tensioner on the back doesn't move around very much, whereas the housing coming into the tensioner at the front has a lot of movement going on from the steering. That tensioner has a hard job to stay still. The stronger the spring in it, probably the better, or yeah, get rid of it altogether.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

That's a very good point. The moment of the housing from steering would Definately effect the shifting long term....

Well thought oysters

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com