Show me Your Tuning!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AGW

by AGW

McG, I can't see if his signature is on the other side of the post, but that looks like a combo made by a member here named Berk.

See this thread: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80684&start=0

danbjpa

by danbjpa

Not Berk. It's a DIY Dino construction

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=130970&start=15

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jamesbass

by jamesbass

Right. I've got a load of spare parts I want to play with before I start screwing with my premium stuff.

Got a dremel in the post & some eye protection.
Can anyone recommend the best dremel bits to go for for derailleur & shifter work? Was going to use my drill for testing but it's impossible to control that thing for precision.

Also, what's the best technique? I presume it's all about gradual changes over a larger area, as opposed to lots of deep holes?
Anything I should avoid? Is saving off carbon a different technique?

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

Not a big tuning (more to come, i hope) but still weight weenies :twisted:

To:

When i will change the bolt for smaller one i will save some more grams :D

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

One of those eBay buy sell deal...then I find this Sram 11-36 10sp cassette with the back plate busted...
- can't sell,
- can't use it...
- to replace the cog is expensive...what am I going to do?!?!

....let me think......

:idea:

I inverted the plate so I could use the healthy corners of whatever was left to engage in the free hub

Transformed into at 12-32 8sp - this is lighter than a sram red XG-1190 11-32T 11sp (196g)!

Will be used on my TT bike paired with 39/53t rings....1x.....and the good news...it cleared the road RD!!!

Or....if I change my mind I'll put on my MTB as 2x8sp

chris14

by chris14

Hi all,
I was trying to find BTP hoods on the net to lighten my Sram red levers, but due to the end of business of BTP (i think) I have been looking for an alternative. I have seen many different ways on the WW site had a different idea :idea:
The original weight for a Sram hood is: 21 grams per hood =42 grams pair. BTP hoods 27 grams pair!
P1050355sl.jpg

Test first and then went a bit more extreme

Only 2 grams more than BTP pair and the fit is great.
Attachments
P105035sm.jpg
20160411_2147sm.jpg
20160411_2147SM.jpg
20160411_2201sm.jpg

jooo

by jooo

I can imagine them tearing eventually, but I think that would look pretty nice with perforated black tape :thumbup:

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Must have taken quite a bit of time to fit them on without tearing! Looks pretty good, a nice match to, berk's perforated leather cover on his custom saddles...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

Nice work, did you use a hole punch?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

McGilli wrote:Specifically what adhesive they would use?

Apologies for the very late reply to this, as its most likely that you've already found a solution.

There are a few adhesives which would work well for this application. Permabond products may be harder to aquire on the consumer level.
3M produces their DP420 epoxy, also available in black, and this can be found at a consumer level of quantities and price.

Be sure to read the data sheets on the products. By using some oven-curing time (ie, a specific heat at a length of time) you can ensure you've cured the adhesive to the proper shear strength you'll need for the application.

:thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Dokas

by Dokas

dino0204 wrote:Last time I made carbon fibre combo. Seatpost is connected to the saddle permanently. Weight of this part is 135g. Saddle is really stiff and more comfortable than Selle Italia SLR Flow. I have plans to do integrated steam with handlebar, bottle cages and another superlight carbon things for my project. I wanna also to start working on separate saddle and seatpost. I going to make very light bike for less money.

No broken?

chris14

by chris14

Kayrehn wrote:Must have taken quite a bit of time to fit them on without tearing! Looks pretty good, a nice match to, berk's perforated leather cover on his custom saddles...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks Kayrehn, In fact as the hood is more flexible it is easier to fit. However as you can see on the last photo I punched to close over the Sram logo and the 3 holes are so close that the split. I think that with more care I could do a better job.

chris14

by chris14

Marin wrote:Nice work, did you use a hole punch?

Hi Marin, yes I used a hole punch, and tested with the biggest hole maker. In the end i found that a smaller one gives better results, however not the smallest one which i saved of the hard to reach bits and in between holes which were not big enough to punch with the reg hole. If you are going to have a go I also suggest to hole punch with the hood inside out. (I did) I found it gives a cleaner finish. An added benefit is a death grip hand shake afterwards 8)

dino0204

by dino0204

Dokas wrote:
dino0204 wrote:Last time I made carbon fibre combo. Seatpost is connected to the saddle permanently. Weight of this part is 135g. Saddle is really stiff and more comfortable than Selle Italia SLR Flow. I have plans to do integrated steam with handlebar, bottle cages and another superlight carbon things for my project. I wanna also to start working on separate saddle and seatpost. I going to make very light bike for less money.

No broken?

Of course not :)
I have done also another combos for road bikes. I have one piece in my cyclocross bike. Also works like it sholud.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com