Show me Your Tuning!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

You made a headset? NICE! i toyed with headset parts but found the delrin i was using to be to squishy and under heavy braking would compact a little....

Any chance of some more photos?
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AGW

by AGW

Super amateur. Chemistry set scale and I forgot to weigh it beforehand. Stripped Selle SMP Evolution - 185.5g

Plastic Italian flag bridge thingy removed:

deermatt

by deermatt

Its still heavy and may be slightly more uncomfortable now.

AGW

by AGW

Piss off. It's more comfortable than before with the uneven padding... And it was certainly comfortable then.

deermatt

by deermatt

piss off? If it was already comfortable, and it'll never be a light saddle, it seems as it should have been left alone ? Its not like you went from 180g to 80g.

AGW

by AGW

Hmm, when I read it originally, I thought you'd said "still uncomfortable", implying it never was or you somehow knew what was best for me. Sorry for jumping straight to "piss off", but yours was nonetheless a pointless and unconstructive critique.

Regardless, it's now identical to an SMP Composite save for the leather. Comfort over weight...

addictR1

by addictR1

before i start to sand down my seatpost.. i tried it on my carbon bottle cage first. plus i didn't like the Forte logo...

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3513/imag0320s.jpg

this is done using a 200 grit

how much did you guys sand before it gets down to the matte black style? and then afterwards did you guy put any polish or anything sealant on?

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

With the sanding, or in some cases knife blade, i sanded until you can actually feel the lumpy fibres. it looks like youve only gone through a laquer coat there... could be wrong, dont worry about damaing the carbon underneath, its VERY VERY hardand wont just sand away easy.

STOP sanding when you see black dust, thats how i gauged it anyway! :thumbup:

@AGW, its a simple tune really, ive done it with an SLR and saved the best part of 35 grams.

@deermatt, although tuning to degrees like AGW's isnt for everyone, it "has to be done" in some peoples cases. The SLR saddle i stripped i found to be as comfortable as the original... its a preference thing.

addictR1

by addictR1

@weeracerweenie: then afterwards, do you put a coating on or leave it as is? i wanted to achieve that matte black look...

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

I clearcoated mine with a low sheen paint, or you can buy aerospace wax (the name of which eludes me) and rub that on periodically to protect your carbon from UV, that should do it! :D

addictR1

by addictR1

sweet.. thanks~~

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Not a problem!

TimmS

by TimmS

Since the wait for the black Giro Empire's took too long, I figured out some new shoes myself.

Started with stripping some old Bont's I once bought for cheap but only used a few time because they are ugly...

Recovered the original lips (or whatever they should be called) with white leather...

Put two layers of carbon around the sole of the old shoe while chilling on the couch waithing for the epoxy to harden an little bit...

The naked result without sanding...

Finished after sanding, clearcoat and laces (but without tha lips which I forgot at my parents house)...

Weight is the same as the claimed weight for the Giro Empire it all started with at 225 gram per shoe!

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Awesome! So how flexy are they? I hope you cover them as soon as it starts raining or do you have another pair of shoes for more coverage?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Sweet awesome tune, TimmS!

Made me wonder about absolute minimalism:
Are the extra layers needed? Could you just have removed the microtex and be done with?
Are the eyelets required. Could you have just punched the holes and be done with?
Less is more.