Show me Your Tuning!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

odin99

by odin99

nicely done on the Kit Carbonio Flow. did you just remove the leather? or do something else to it? would be nice to get 3 more grams off, eh?

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

I did the same with my SLR. It was just the leather and the tiny amount of foam underneath. I think mine was 105gm when done so I dremelled off some of the excess material underneath. 99.9gm when I was done ;)
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rjk8

by rjk8

odin99 wrote:nicely done on the Kit Carbonio Flow. did you just remove the leather? or do something else to it? would be nice to get 3 more grams off, eh?

The leather and padding and I dremel'd out a portion on the back. I'm sure I could get it under 100g by taking a little material off the edges.
R.J.
Some people tune their car, I prefer to tune my bike.
http://ilcappellino.blogspot.com/

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Came here to share the beginning of a fun little project, glad to see that I'm totally on same 'saddle' topic!
Desperately trying to find a bike related project to mess with, I ended up begging my wife to work on her mid 80's 'Bianchi Superset Ishiwata' that she NEVER uses... so I can dig my head into some upgrades and refinements. I have two modern bikes (Scott spark (MTB) and a TREK TTX for triathlon) but I wish I could have something more casual and useful to ride around the block, groceries, weekend relax, so she gave me the green light to play!!! So I'm ditching some unnecessary parts like front derailleur/big ring/and front shifter, so the bike will have 6sp only, more than enough...and lighter!!! Planning on deep clean all components and put lots of grease specially on rear derailleur (Suntour), I already changed the seatpost by a carbon finish one left over from an old bike of mine and now I'm working on which color I will use to tape the handlebar and of course, create a matching saddle!

Talking about the saddle, I had a old and bit up Selle San Marcos that I will use for this bike, I'm considering replacing the cover by leather, but still don't know what kind of shade I will use....but needs to match with the handlebar tape of course!

By the way....I'm not really knowledgeable about Classic bikes. If I'm doing something disrespectful with this bike...let me know!!!! :)
Last edited by andreszucs on Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Can't go wrong with black or tan. I'd introduce a first layer of foam to it first instead of just a leather layer . can't wait to see it! Good luck

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

weeracerweenie wrote:Can't go wrong with black or tan. I'd introduce a first layer of foam to it first instead of just a leather layer . can't wait to see it! Good luck

I think Tan is the winner...to also match the gold logos! ...with a home made cork Handle bar end plug....digging ebay right know!

That ugly surface you see on top of the saddle is a padding...I think will be ok with a thin layer of leather on top.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

weeracerweenie wrote:I did the same with my SLR. It was just the leather and the tiny amount of foam underneath. I think mine was 105gm when done so I dremelled off some of the excess material underneath. 99.9gm when I was done ;)

And now it's on my bike! :D

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

andreszucs wrote:
weeracerweenie wrote:Can't go wrong with black or tan. I'd introduce a first layer of foam to it first instead of just a leather layer . can't wait to see it! Good luck

I think Tan is the winner...to also match the gold logos! ...with a home made cork Handle bar end plug....digging ebay right know!

That ugly surface you see on top of the saddle is a padding...I think will be ok with a thin layer of leather on top.

Good choice, id try find your bar tape first so you can colour match the leather for the saddle to it. brooks do some pretty stuff, its not cheap though...

dereksmalls wrote:
weeracerweenie wrote:I did the same with my SLR. It was just the leather and the tiny amount of foam underneath. I think mine was 105gm when done so I dremelled off some of the excess material underneath. 99.9gm when I was done ;)

indeed it is :thumbup:

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

weeracerweenie wrote:
andreszucs wrote:

Good choice, id try find your bar tape first so you can colour match the leather for the saddle to it. brooks do some pretty stuff, its not cheap though...

dereksmalls wrote:

indeed it is :thumbup:

I found the saddle leather, it will be Perforated Beige, hoping to find the same pattern for the tape! Ended up doing opposite to your suggestion!
Last edited by andreszucs on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Really digging this project!
I just placed everything to picture the concept:

Hopefully works! (It's a base of a TT shifter with a pulley bearing bolted into it). Interesting concept because I can pull the cable directly to brake the bike with my hands in the extremity, or pull the lever with hands in the center portion... Or... Ditch the lever keeping the base only to anchor the cable, would look cool!

I had to make a groove onto the bearing to guide the cable:

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Last edited by andreszucs on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

That looks interesting.

Christo

by Christo

andreszucs wrote:Hum....2:1 pulley system? 1/2 the force needed to brake? ...righ! More cable to pull...I'm curious to find out how it feels.

Now I am certainly no physicist (in fact I'm a little mathematically challenged) but won't that only change the speed that the pads travel in towards the rim, not actually give you more power? You would also need to increase the lever to get more power would you not? As far as I can see the actual force delivered would still be proportionate to the power traveling from the rider's hands through the lever and down the cable..

[emoji50]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kman

by kman

It is changing the "lever". A lever is created any time a force acts a distance from a pivot - the bearing here will increase the distance from a pivot to where the cable anchors.

Crap description. :s
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa