Show me Your Tuning!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bfno

by bfno

Where is everyone getting the carbon tubes for their DIY seat posts?
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

bfno wrote:Where is everyone getting the carbon tubes for their DIY seat posts?

www.rockwestcomposites.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

@andreszucs I want a 3D printer so bad for stuff like this. My friends just got a CAD mill and lathe so when it's up and running I can build some parts I never thought I could before.

Fantastic cassettes too. While weight might not be the primary objective none the less it'll still save something
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

jooo

by jooo

@andreszucs - Are you expecting reasonable durability with those small cogs? I assume they go through some kind of heat/solution treatment after being printed?

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

This project is more of a curiosity process than anything else. Still a long way to go since I'm still improving the design, just learned that I need to improve some details from the first printing and there are some limitations and boundaries that I need to consider as well. For instance...things look very promising and exciting in the virtual world. I got to drop the weight down to 300g sharp on a 10sp 11-41T setup...but again...it means nothing if it's not on my bike and fully working after months using it.

Regarding durability, I'm confident that is going the be fine since its stainless steel. There are Alloy cassette out there right? So I will assume that stainless will do just fine. No treatments or coating necessary.
Price is also a setback to pull the trigger on a printing that I don't even know if it's going to work...so I better make sure I have a great design to star experimenting in the real world.

Last edited by andreszucs on Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

weeracerweenie wrote:@andreszucs I want a 3D printer so bad for stuff like this. My friends just got a CAD mill and lathe so when it's up and running I can build some parts I never thought I could before.

Fantastic cassettes too. While weight might not be the primary objective none the less it'll still save something

Here is the best deal in the market so far:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XYZprinting-daV ... 43d20d49cd

Tazzy

by Tazzy

3d printing should make happy times for campa spaced cassettes on shimano body or vice versa

deek

by deek

They're interchangeable on 11 speed.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Tazzy wrote:3d printing should make happy times for campa spaced cassettes on shimano body or vice versa

Hum...tell me more about it. Is that the only difference from Shimano to Campy? the space between cogs? or teeth pattern/chain is also different? I know of course the difference on the freehub.

Marin

by Marin

Space between the cogs is the same, at least on 11 speed - you can swap wheels between Campa and Sram/Shim and they work fine.

The difference is the freehub and the cassette spline interface to it, although there are freehubs (e.g. from Edco) that can take both types.

jooo

by jooo

The spacing isn't exactly the same, but it's 'close enough' for most people.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

I never had any campy stuff...I'd love to do a CAD model of one. If anyone happen to have a worned campy cassette about to go to the trash...send it to me!

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

jooo wrote:The spacing isn't exactly the same, but it's 'close enough' for most people.

its close enough to allow a neatral support wheel change, but i wouldnt encourage people to train on the set up
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have been looking at ways to reduce clutter on my bars and weight but still be ready to add a strong light to my bars to go for a night ride. I have been running an exposure diablo with the normal bar mount. I have a fliploc STD-x as my garmin mount as it is the lightest out front mount and is luckily dual sided.

I created a garmin interface for my diablo to mount to the underside of fliploc mount, it would work with any dual sided garmin outfront mount though.

I used an exposure helmet mount (it comes free with the light) for the clip to grab the light, I then purchased a SRAM garmin 705 to 1/4 turn adapter off ebay for $7. I dremeled both down to the minimum that i required. I sanded them flat and sanded the ball jount of the exposure half so I could pivot the light without the ball joint pushing on the SRAM half of the construction. Bonded both together with epoxy glue and added 3 self tapping screws for extra security and cut off the screw tips with the dremel. I finally glued the exposure to the mount. The outside of the mount was initially smooth but I cut some slots into it to increase friction and make twisting the light into the mount easier.

I lost 20g by being able to remove the exposure bracket from the handlebars. The out front mount should be able to cope with the weight.
Attachments
CAM00533.jpg
CAM00534.jpg
CAM00535.jpg
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I've a similar setup using a K-Edge Garmin/GoPro combo mount + REC Mounts GoPro/Lezyne adapter + Lezyne Mini Drive XL. No hacking required but I'm not sure about the weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com