Spoke Hole Cracks in Velocity A23

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Anyone had this problem? I just replaced a rear rim. 32 hole build with DT Comps. The build was OK but not great IMO. Only about a season on them. Small cracks appeared on three or four spoke holes.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DJT21

by DJT21

No, although Ive seen it happen on other rims.

Perhaps the spokes were to tight?

artray

by artray

I had it happen on some Stans . Next build the tension was eased off a bit and no issues.

fio
in the industry

by fio

I've seen it on a wheel that had been over tensioned. Spoke pulled right out of the rim. I also know of it happening to a few other A23's, don't know about the tension on those though.

Contrarily, I have a set of A23's that I've used without problem. Really depends on the tension of the wheel...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Tensions were not too high IMO. I suspect uneveness in tension may have been the cause.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.