Deep road wheels for every day use (70+mm)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Colnago68

by Colnago68

Does anybody use very deep profile road wheel for everyday riding (I mean anything more than say 70 mm)? I was thinking of getting a pair for everyday use - i don't race, they would simply be for training and long rides. I have low profile wheels as well as a 46 mm set to rotate out as conditions dicatate. They would simply be for my enjoyement ... does this make sense or are they just too specific in purpose to be practical?

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

u dont race, so what are u training for?

u say u wanna use them everyday? impractical at best.

if u wanna use them on the most sunny of days where the wind is down , and nothing but flat roads in front of you, then go for it. deep wheels look sweet and make cool noises.
Last edited by nathanong87 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

Might as well.

"Why not?"

civdic

by civdic

Are you thinking clinchers or tubs? I've ridden "deep" dish wheels (80mm) and I found them a bit uncomfortable. Too stiff and can be very heavy. Depending on your weight they can throw you around in just a bit of wind.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

My deepest wheels are 60mm, and my advice is -- for the pure joy of riding -- get the lightest wheels that are strong enough for you.

Whenever conditions permit I'm using my 12xxg carbon tubs in training, because they are just so much pleasure to ride. At some point in my life I want to own a (stiff-ish) 10xxg set.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

There isn't anything wrong with a deep rim, just for the fun of it. Life is too short.

I ride 25mm-65mm rims. I race a little, but parts like this are just a lot of fun.

I have never had a rim deeper than 65, but my only concern with anything deeper is weight. I am a WW (hence I am here :D ) so it is always a compromise.

If it is in the budget, and you like them, go for it.

(if you "shouldn't" because you ""can't use them to there full potential"", then there should be no road legal sports cars either, at least in the U.S., because you can't go faster than 80 mph, legally, so we should all be driving a Ford Focus, because they go 80mph just fine, so we shouldn't get anything more fun or better)
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Omiar

by Omiar

I ride 60mm carbon clinchers for a month now. I ride alone and frequently with high winds and I like the freewheel effect it gives whatever the speed is.
There are no mountains here, otherwise I would be using something lighter (and therefore lower profile rims).
I haven't tried, but I think I would use a higher profile only during a season, when being in top fitness level.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

Colnago68

by Colnago68

carbon2329 wrote:There isn't anything wrong with a deep rim, just for the fun of it. Life is too short.

I ride 25mm-65mm rims. I race a little, but parts like this are just a lot of fun.

(if you "shouldn't" because you ""can't use them to there full potential"", then there should be no road legal sports cars either, at least in the U.S., because you can't go faster than 80 mph, legally, so we should all be driving a Ford Focus, because they go 80mph just fine, so we shouldn't get anything more fun or better)
:D :D :D :D :D :D

This response kind of sums up my position - i know it would be a toy. I guess i am trying to assess degree of impracticality. I've considered Bora 80, Reynolds 81, Mavic Cosmic 80.

eric

by eric

Depends on how windy it is where you ride. Deep profile wheels can be a handful in cross winds, enough to make fun descents into white knuckle rides.

NGMN

by NGMN

Of the three you listed, I'd probably go for the Carbones, they've got a toroidal shape so they'll be more aerodynamic and a little easier to handle in a cross wind.

As far as deep wheels for everyday riding, sure why not if you've got the money; just switch out the front to something shallower on really blustery days.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

:goodpost:

In regards to the wind:
Winds can be a factor. Where I am, the wind isn't terrible, so I wouldn't hesitate on the majority of rides, to use a 65-90mm rim.

But.....if winds are bad where you are, then it is something to consider. In my experince, deep rims aren't a big problem, but with big winds or a BIG "gust of wind", you can still get pushed around,.....but that can happen with 25mm rims, with big winds....just not as much..... :D :D

Ride what you enjoy. :thumbup:

Geoff

by Geoff

Absolutely! As another poster said, life is too short.

I often throw-on a set of Hed 9's or 6/9's for a blast (or LW's or ADA's, or whatever). Ride what you like. There will be a time when you cannot.

As for training, but not racing, that is great, too. Cycling is a vehicle for self-discovery, both physical and mental. The race with yourself is more important than any mere competition. Those who don't get that don't truly get cycling yet, but they will if they stick with it long enough.

Sorry. One of my wife's uncles just had a grandchild's birthday on the weekend and is in a coma in the hospital today after a massive stroke. You don't know when your last ride is...

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Depth isn't the only component that determines how well a rim will behave in the wind. Overall profile and width seem to have just as big of an effect.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

i'm using a set of enve 6.7 smart/alchemy wheels as my every day trainer wheels and they totally rock.. and handle wind way better than my much lighter ( 990g vers 1420g ) enve 1.45/extralite wheels. i still race the 45s mostly though as they spin up better and the grade of crit racing i do mostly is surgey as all hell

thencameyou

by thencameyou

Hi guys - just wondering if I can get an impression of what an 88mm tubular (deep v profile) are like to ride in real world conditions. I am ~70kg (a little less when fit) and 188cm, more of a climber/rouleur but going to be doing a good number of flat-rolling races this season.
Just wondering what sort of conditions they're likely to be rideable in, as here in NZ it's almost always at least a little bit windy.

I have a pair of hubs and want to build up my own set of wheels, not interested in Zipp/Hed/ENVE, though I understand that anecdotally they're easier to ride on a windy day for a given depth. I have a set of Lightweights but want something a little better for flatter courses.

Thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com