Reynolds DV46 UL rim warped around nipples

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aerozy

by aerozy

Hey folks!

I just noticed today that my front Reynolds DV46 UL rim us has warped around the nipples in at least 5 different locations. This wheelset was one of the first batches that came out, those ones that were around 1180gr.

Anyhow Ive been riding them for 3 years without even noticing any defects and they are strangely still true.

So just wanted to ask your wise opinion on whether you think they are safe to ride or not?

Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I have a set of alloy rims that have done that (they pop out instead of in) I spoke to my LBS about it, they said I should just ride it till it fails :? Not sure what thats supposed to mean :noidea:
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Send the pictures to Reynolds and see what they day.

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

this is something that reynolds cannot argue against, just be glad they aren't carbon, or you might have noticed it at the wrong time!
No, I am not trying to sell you something.

em3

by em3

ergott wrote:Send the pictures to Reynolds and see what they day.

+1

As long as these are a Reynolds stock build and haven't been over-tensioned by a ham-fisted "mechanic" then i suspect Reynolds will be receptive...Reynolds is known for being quite good at backing their product. EM3

bura

by bura

chazzawoods wrote: just be glad they aren't carbon, or you might have noticed it at the wrong time!

What?
Sure that they are not carbon?

Well, a mate had the same with his 32UL 's.Had them only for 4700 kms on his bike. He kept on riding with them. The next step are spoke failures. Spokes brake just at the internal nipple edge. Therefore be prepared for deep scratches in your carbon frame inside your chain stays and or seat stays.
I would not ride with them any further.

So this is an "high end non Chinese component failure" then.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

aerozy

by aerozy

Thanks for the reply folks! I'll definitely send Reynolds an email asking their opinion on the matter. I dont expect to get any replacement from them as the wheelset is almost 4 years old. Its just sad that once they realized that this lighter version wasnt strong enough they didnt recall the ones that had already shipped out.

I dont think Ill ever buy a Reynolds wheelset again. Not only because of this issue. The drilled holes on the rim seem to strip everytime you replace a tire. Ive seen the same thing happen on on my SDV66's so its a general thing.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com