Question: Power2Max and Garmin Sensor Compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

Hello Cyclists. I just installed and started using my P2M, and I'm glad to report it's working great. However I'm wondering if you can help me with a question I'm having.

I'm having issues understanding if the Power2Max is picking up my cadence or if the GSC unit is picking up the cadence. I ultimately want to be able to get rid of the magnet on my crank and be able to get a speed reading from my GSC without grabbing a cadence reading.

Can this be done? Will I have to get a specific speed only ANT+ sensor to make this work? Anybody with any prior experience in the matter please chime in. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aerozy

by aerozy

Im not sure which cadence your computer is picking up but out of curiosity why are you using the extra garmin speed sensor? Is it for indoor riding? At least outside I run a power2max without the sensor and just get the speed from the GPS positioning and cadence from the powermeter. I personally love the clean look of a bike with no sensors but thats just me
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

Tillquist

by Tillquist

aerozy wrote:Im not sure which cadence your computer is picking up but out of curiosity why are you using the extra garmin speed sensor? Is it for indoor riding? At least outside I run a power2max without the sensor and just get the speed from the GPS positioning and cadence from the powermeter. I personally love the clean look of a bike with no sensors but thats just me

+1
See all my bike h e r e

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

It's for indoor riding. Yes, I am aware that the specific metric I'm looking for is almost completely useless in an indoor training session even, but I'm a data junkie.

I personally would love to not have any sensors on my bike as well. It looks way more flush, but I haven't seen anything that looks remotely discreet except for a skewer speed sensor that won't even work due to my trainer using it's own reinforced skewer.

stevei

by stevei

If you have a separate speed/cadence sensor and a magnet on the crank, then the Garmin will use the cadence data from that in preference to the P2Max's cadence data.

If you get rid of the crank magnet, you'll then get cadence data from the P2Max and still get speed data from the speed sensor.

You can easily tell where the cadence data is coming from because the P2Max's cadence data is noticeably laggy compared to that from a cadence sensor + crank magnet.

ms6073

by ms6073

CerveloBert wrote:I ultimately want to be able to get rid of the magnet on my crank and be able to get a speed reading from my GSC without grabbing a cadence reading.

Take a look at the 'Can I pair a different company's speed and cadence sensor to my Edge 500' FAQ (sorry link wont embed - http://support.garmin.com/support/searc ... es?caseId={b4305250-b8e9-11de-4c3e-000000000000}) to get a better understanding of the menus used to configure ANT+ sensors. Simply put, when you paired your Power2Max with the Edge, if you did not follow the prompts to configure the P2M cadence, have paired the GSC-10, and have not changed the default 'Spd/Cad' selection under Settings > Bike Settings > [Bike Profile] > ANT+ Spd/Cad., then your Garmin should be getting cadence from the GSC-10.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

Thank you MSC, I got the situation under control after looking at your link.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com